Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
2,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all...
In the past, I've mostly used yellow rouge compound to polish and/or get rid of general dirt/grime on clarinet keys. Both nickel plated and silver, btw.. I've been very happy with the results, but am curious to know what you use? Obviously, I'm talking about using compound/polish with a muslin/cotton buffing wheel on my bench motor. I've had other repair techs tell me they use green and blue compound as well. I'm admittedly not too keen on the "best" to use, which is why I'm asking for other opinions. Again, I've used yellow with results I've been very happy with, but would like some input from others!

Thanks!
John

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
Music Medic "Blue Hubble" works like a charm---especially on nickel plated keys. With silver plated keys one has to be very careful not to cut through the plating. A method we used to use on flute keys when I worked in a repair shop was to give a medium firm buffing wheel a spray of Haggerty's Silver Polish as it is spinning. This polishes the silver beautifully and is less abrasive than any of the buffing compounds.

·
Banned
2,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that, John! I appreciate the tip about the Haggerty's on to a buffing wheel too! I have some Haggerty's and will definitely give it a spin (pun intended!). Here's my Series 9 that I used the yellow compound on.

View attachment 215410

1 - 5 of 5 Posts