Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been playing clarinet in a Dixieland band for about 3 years and I recently switched to sop sax simply in order to be better heard over the other "horns". The feedback from the group was good but I would rather find a way to have a "louder" clarinet sound, in order to maximize that sound and to take advantage of the greater range (e.g., low E vs Bb).

I'm playing an R13 (made ca. 1959) that I've owned since the mid 60s. It's great for orchestral music but, perhaps, limited for jazz. So I'm wondering if the solution to this problem is a new mpc or a new clarinet -- and, in either case, which one?

Suggestions?

KM

·
Registered
976 Posts
My R13, purchased used in 74, wailed, but when i traded it to WWBW couple of yrs ago, was giving me intonation trbls. But it breathed. The brashest mpc I have is a Brilhart, but sharp. I played Morgans for yrs, but flat. JB5 for awhile,but dark. B45 lyre, with plastic LeBlanc clar. now. Bright with range.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,312 Posts
I play a Morgan J6 on my stick (Leblanc LL). Has plenty of volume and punch. Intonation is good. Also maybe check out the Pomarico jazz models. They play nice and the crystal looks cool.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009-
2,759 Posts
A Selmer Centered Tone or Series 9, maybe a Boosey and Hawkes — these have larger bores and are often preferred for jazz. But in conversations with Dr. Michael White (who plays an L. Rossi), he pretty much said it was the player, not the instrument, not the set up. An open mouthpiece will help with tonal effects but there's something about having a really strong core sound and letting that sing through the horn.

·
Registered
8,975 Posts
On the cheap, try a Rico Metalite M9. I do not think they are made anymore but there should be some new old stock still out there or some lightly used ones to be found. A Vandoren 88 5JB would also be worth a try. I have used them on my 1940's Leblanc Series II which has a slightly wider bore than a R13.

Eddie Daniels just uses a classical set-up and a dual microphone system.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Try a John Pierce. They only come in one size, and provide good intonation and great projection. I've been playing dixie for several years, and with that mouthpiece, combined with the range of the instrument, you rarely need a microphone. Watch the reed though. A thin reed will get you a brighter tone, but a whole lot more buzz==crappy tone.

·
2,853 Posts
I have tried many mouthpieces and found one that was way too loud and bright for my tastes (along with harsh and brittle). That was a stock Meyer. My first comment about it was, "this would be nice if I was the only clarinet in a trumpet band".

I play a Selmer Centered Tone with a Vandoren 5JB and can make that dark or bright as needed. I really haven't found a more versatile piece for clarinet than the 5JB. I do think that some clarinetists can make the instrument scream no matter what the set up may be and some can't. It may be one of the reasons many clarinetists turn to saxophone.

Runyon mouthpieces seem a little bright and loud to me too. You may want to give them a shot.

If all fails, try Walter Grabner. He definitely knows his mouthpieces. Check out the Jazz/Klezmer mouthpieces.
http://www.clarinetxpress.com/

·
14,268 Posts
We all react differently to mouthpieces and reed set-ups. What works for me will most likely NOT work for you. I've played so-called Dixieland exclusively (the purists call it traditional jazz) for 50+ years - sop and clarinet. PLEASE do not play into a microphone (and I'd be happy to discuss that at length if necessary).

Anyway, I use a Buffet RC Prestige (and have used Alberts too) and my favorite piece is a Lakey 5* with a Fibracell 1 1/2 reed. I can blend AND be heard through the brass without amplification. I've also used the B45, 5JB, Rovner 5, Selmer HS**, and an old Vandoren 66. The Lakey is perfect for me. DAVE

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,209 Posts
The 'loudest' mouthpiece in my collection is a C85-105. It's equally 'powerful' on my Buffet Evette Master Model (R13 clone) and my Selmer Signature. My Portnoy 3 comes in close as far as projection goes using the same reed/lig combination.
I use Mitchell Lure 3.5s' and a Bonade inverted. Not that it matters...
The C85s' are rather pricey but worth a try.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2012
3,095 Posts
My current setup is a Vando 5JB, with a Légère Signature 3 reed. I also have a Beechler Diamond 8 which screams, but sounds more klezmerish. My horns are a '70 Buffet BC 20 or a blue Vito Resotone 3 for outdoor.

·
2,960 Posts
runyon makes a great jazz clarinet mpc and the lakey is uber bright and powerfull as well. try plasticover reeds to get extra zip. deg barrel also will increase power

1 - 12 of 12 Posts