Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Distiguished SOTW Tech
1,545 Posts
Where clarinets go to die, and start life as something else..
Just wondering if Plumbers do likewise with faucets and old toilets...

I personally don't like band instrument lamp art (no offense to your latest masterpiece ), but I was always tempted to make one for the shop that turned on/off by pressing a particular key or possibly by using a touch sensor.

I think a tuba or Bassoon potato cannon is more my speed :) Maybe I could load it with those nasty imported piccolos and fire em across the back yard.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,853 Posts
I think the clarinet is one of the few instruments that actually looks good as a lamp. Looks nice. I have always thought about doing one of those. I never had the guts to give up a clarinet for that purpose.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
4,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, it was a request from a good customer as a gift ofr another. The Base is a steel clarinet stand drilled to allow the wire to travel threw.

I did notice that a clarinet is too tall and out of proportion, so I ended up removing the barrell and then removing the register key and upper two trills and then machined (shortened) the clarinet down past the register key. Then I fitted the light bayonet and then refitted the keys. The register key actually closes on the light bayonet fixture. This gave it a better propotional look

The customer hasn't seen it yet, so hopefully they will be happy. Just something different to the daily repairs

If it was a Chinese made clarinet, I'm ok with making it into a lamp since it is not a musical instrument to begin with
Im sure they will be devastated, the chinese make more musical instruments than the rest of the world combined.

·
Distiguished SOTW Tech
1,545 Posts
...I did notice that a clarinet is too tall and out of proportion,...Im sure they will be devastated, the chinese make more musical instruments than the rest of the world combined.
Should have used two or three and made a floor lamp.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts