Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
13,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/clarence-clemons-has-suffered-a-stroke-20110612

Rolling Stone can confirm reports that Clarence Clemons has had a stroke. The news broke this evening at 411.com, which reported that Clemons is "seriously ill after a stroke at his home in Florida." We have no information on the severity of the stroke, but we have independently confirmed that the E Street Band saxophonist has suffered a stroke.

Clemons has gone through a series of medical ailments - mostly involving his back and knees - over the past decade. He hasn't missed any concerts, but the conditions caused him to suffer a tremendous amount of pain and discomfort. "That last tour was hell," Clemons told Rolling Stone in February. "Pure hell." In the past year Clemons had both knees replaced and spinal fusion surgery. "The timing was perfect because it didn't interfere with a lot of stuff that was going on in my life," he says. "It made me stronger, and for the past year I've been in physical therapy a few days a week working my *** off to get back in shape. I'm walking better now, though I still use a cane and crutches. But now I'm having hip problems again. I don't know why."

·
Registered
428 Posts
Really sorry to hear this. Nobody can play with the drama, taste and conviction that Clarence can. When it comes to Rock and Roll he's the king of the horn. My prayers and hopes are with him. He's the Man.

·
Forum Contributor 2008/Distinguished SOTW Member
3,295 Posts
Oh man, my mom has gone through a lot of this. Her hip was bothering her and it turned out a piece of material from the hip had chipped off and fallen into the joint causing enormous amounts of pain.

I hope he recovers soon. And hopefully his stroke doesn't effect his abilities to play.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,416 Posts
I watched a little news video on it and they said the situation is grave and the E-Street band members have been advised they should not delay going to the hospital. Strokes and aneurysms are prevalent among guys that play/sing hard with a lot of pressure, and it's probably what will end my little career. I think I'm actually older than Clarence but if not we're very close. I sure hope he can recover and play again. What a monster sound!

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
god bless Clarence... he'll be in our thoughts and prayers for sure. Giant on the horn!!!!

shawn

·
7,416 Posts
Any updates? I saw yesterday where he had two brain operations but was responding.

·
7,416 Posts
Clarence Clemmons is gone but definately not forgotten. He had an instantly recognizable sound and style full of life, warmth and excitement, which will be sorely missed.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Naw sh*t. C'mon, seriously? Man, I hoped he'd make it through. Life's a b*tch, isn't it.

Sorry, I'm just really mad, sad, surprised. Call it what you will.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts