Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
5,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been working on Circular Breathing and have actually used it on a few gigs with success. Each day as part of a warm-up I hold one pitch on just the mouthpiece and neck for a minute. Last week I tried 2 minutes but I end up with lungs full of stale air so I feel like I'm suffocating (While still holding out a note)

This morning I tried exhaling through my nose while sustaining a note. I know Oboe players need use this sort of technique. This allowed me to clear the lungs and on the next cycle I can breath in nice oxygen rich air. Still figuring it out but this my be the key to my 2 minute goal.

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
13,072 Posts
I've been working on Circular Breathing and have actually used it on a few gigs with success. Each day as part of a warm-up I hold one pitch on just the mouthpiece and neck for a minute. Last week I tried 2 minutes but I end up with lungs full of stale air so I feel like I'm suffocating (While still holding out a note)

This morning I tried exhaling through my nose while sustaining a note. I know Oboe players need use this sort of technique. This allowed me to clear the lungs and on the next cycle I can breath in nice oxygen rich air. Still figuring it out but this my be the key to my 2 minute goal.
Yes, I find I need to do that also
when the air starts getting stale in the lungs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 2 of 2 Posts