Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(Sorry if I put this thread in the wrong place, couldn't find a good place to put it.) So anyway, I've managed to self-teach myself with the help of a YouTube video, and I've gotten really good at it, but I have to puff my cheeks to do it. I've grow up with teachers telling me not to puff my cheeks :tsk:, so it feels like I'm doing something wrong. Is there any way to circular breathe without puffing my cheeks? Thanks.

-Tony

·
Banned
3,665 Posts
I found that, as I made more musical demands on my circular breathing, I gained more control over my facial muscles and the cheek puffing disappeared.
I found I needed to control that puffing to bring things into tune, especially on the soprano.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,881 Posts
I find that the puffing is necessary, otherwise I don't have enough air. You are doing nothing wrong. Yes, conventional teaching tells us not to puff our cheeks, but that would not apply to CB where it is useful IMO.

Plus, as we all know, several great players do puff their cheeks, so cheek puffing per se is not going to necessarily be a bad thing as long as you can play well enough that the end justifies the means.

But if cheek puffing does affect your non CB playing, then don't do it unless you are circular breathing.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok thanks a lot. By the way what does IMO mean?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,831 Posts
IMO = In my Opinion
IMHO = In my Humble Opinion
YMMV = Your Mileage may vary
TTYL = Talk to you later

And there are still a lot that throw me!

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
FWIW (For what it's worth:),
I find I'm puffing less and less with time. I suppose I'm getting better at it.

-Bubba-

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the abbrivations, I knew most but I couldn't figure out IMO for the life
of me. I do mean circular breathing on sax.

·
Registered
14 Posts
It's almost impossible to take a big, full breath, while one is circular breathing and their cheeks aren't puffed. What would you really even use to push out the air, anyways? I use my cheeks for a supported air-stream. Just don't strain your cheek muscles; if they blow out, or lose functionability, you can't circular breathe (this way) or have the same range, tone, pressure, support, and so on as before.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts