Sax on the Web Forum banner

Christmas Carols/holiday music for quartet

9K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Bar-Ron 
#1 ·
Hi folks, it's been a while since I've visited the forums. It's good to be back! I did a quick search and didn't find what I was looking for so I thought I'd ask. What are you favorite arrangements of carols/holiday songs for sax quartet (AATB)? We have "Let it Snow" and, of course, a set of short, simple carols for "any instrumentation" that I would prefer to replace. I'm hoping to put together a program that's at least half an hour long of somewhat legitimate literature. Any recommendations are appreciated! (Also, I take low brass choirs/trombone quartets caroling--any thoughts on that would be welcome as well :))

Thanks,

Curtis

#3 ·
Thanks for you reply! I'm hoping to get some recommendations of specific arrangements. Do you have any in mind? I know I could get the melody and write up a simple arrangement, but I'd like the program to have a little more substance than I can provide.

#7 ·
Thanks for the tip! I think I'll be using a similar set for the low brass choir--I'm playing at a Tuba Christmas in a couple weeks and I'll just pick up some books when I'm there. I hear they're also very good!

#8 ·
Thank, Rick! That sounds pretty solid, I like the arrangement.

In case anybody else is following this thread, I also found some good arrangements by the 4a4 Sax Quartet here.

The Christmas tunes there are "4 French Christmas Carols," "Hark! The Herald Angels Sing," "Santa Claus is Coming to Town," "Silent Night," "Swinging Jingle Bells," "We Wish You a Merry Christmas," and "White Christmas." Hopefully that's helpful for somebody! Any further suggestions are welcome, we're hoping to put together a decent length program.

#9 ·
By far the best Christmas arrangements at a reasonable price are available on Sibelius, Kate Agioritis juts put almost every carol to swing, jazz, blues, rock or funk...that is right FUNK! Ken Abeling does some more difficult well arranged classics such as Rudolph, Feliz Navidad, Sleigh ride and others Jingle bells, . Here is the link to We Three Kings in Funk http://www.sibeliusmusic.com/index.php?sm=home.score&scoreID=157465, I have been playing Christmas strolls and concerts for 8 years and she writes the most fun easiest to sound good pieces I have ever encountered.
Also A Christmas Treat is nice from Kevin Riley...there are a few others too. The Clark book is better arranged than the Salvation Army one.
We reduce all we can find off of Sibelius to fit in marching band folders so we can play at night outside at hired events and tree lighting's.
Marillia;s Silent night is pretty, nice chords.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.