Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Saxophonist Extraordinai
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this great interview of Chris Potter. Very insightful, he talks about his relationship and dedication to the music. He has some wonderful things to say about his early influences and work ethic. I was so inspired after reading this and listening to the 2 solo sax performances, if it wasn't 1:45 in the morning I'd pull out my horn and start shedding right now!!!

Here's the link, check out the Youtube recordings at the bottom of the page (no video just audio). Chris is amazing (but a lot of us already knew that).

http://jazzinterviewseries.blogspot.com/2010/04/chris-potter-has-long-been-touted-as.html

Also check out the archives: Dave Holland, Christian McBride, Ron Carter, Lenny Pickett and others...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,316 Posts
Thank you very much for the link!

"... He has never performed a full solo concert, but it is something he'd be interested in doing and practices all the time. ..."​

Solo Chris Potter clips pop up from time-to-time. I like these because they sound very musical and not just fancy.

"... Potter compared group improvisation to citizenship within a community. Jazz "is the only kind of music that I know of, in history, that's ever really had that group improvisation aesthetic. It's really special. Philosophically too, it requires everyone to be very well informed about what the situation is, and to be considerate, but not to be wishy-washy, to jump in when needed. It's all the kind of things that, if you look at it in another situation, can make a good citizen or a good family-member. This is the big thing behind what this music means to me. It's a whole way of life, and the more that I've had a chance to work with people on the highest level you realize that's really where it's at. That's the way they're looking at it."

While Potter's take on improvisation was illuminating, his advice for upcoming musicians was to just keep at it. "Everybody has a different path, a different story, and that's how it should be. Being a jazz musician, there's nothing cookie-cutter about it. It's obviously not an easy thing to do. It's not an easy way to make a living. I've been very fortunate, but I know a lot of people that are very talented. It's not that easy, but it's the kind of thing that if you need to do it, you need to do it. ..."​

Probably a good thing to be reminded of periodically.

·
Banned
192 Posts
With Chris Potter the proof really is in the playing .

No hype, no excuses or copouts and no funny attitudes with him - he just delivers consistant performances .

When he talks about his work ethic, you can hear it in his playing which is why he's been successful,
and also why he's influenced as many players as he has .

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,870 Posts
With Chris Potter the proof really is in the playing .

No hype, no excuses or copouts and no funny attitudes with him - he just delivers consistant performances .

When he talks about his work ethic, you can hear it in his playing which is why he's been successful,
and also why he's influenced as many players as he has .
Hmm his perfomance at north sea jazz got pretty bad reviews. it was a performance with a tentette

·
2,870 Posts
Haven't listened to it yet but i also must add that in general his style is not my cup of tea. It was the first time they played together so maybe it's not so surprising.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Miles Davis often got poor reviews as well....just something to think about. Just cause someone does not like their performance on a given night, or their style does not take away my respect for the artistry, work ethic and general awe of their musicianship.

Thats my line and I'm stickin' to it.

·
2,870 Posts
Miles Davis often got poor reviews as well....just something to think about. Just cause someone does not like their performance on a given night, or their style does not take away my respect for the artistry, work ethic and general awe of their musicianship.

Thats my line and I'm stickin' to it.
The guy who wrote the review was actually expecting a lot from the performance so i guess he is not biased against him.

·
Banned
2,248 Posts
I'd like to hear Potter step back and do a simpler, more melody-based album...maybe a Ballads album. When I hear him play it always sounds like he's reciting from Physics textbook...it's just way over my head and misses my heart completely...but it's still amazing playing.

·
Registered
873 Posts
These interviews are all part of the NYU jazz series at the upper east side Barnes and Noble in NYC. They'll be starting up again in the fall and are completely free. I was at the Chris Potter interview and sat two feet away from the bell of his sax. He was playing on a C* in the video!!!

Anyhow, if you guys are ever in NYC these are definitely worth checking out

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,316 Posts
I'd like to hear Potter step back and do a simpler, more melody-based album...maybe a Ballads album. When I hear him play it always sounds like he's reciting from Physics textbook...it's just way over my head and misses my heart completely...but it's still amazing playing.
I can identify with that. I liked these clips, but I don't connect with everything Chris Potter does. Of course, I don't connect with everything from Parker or Coleman either - LOL. In particular, I don't relate well to all of Chris Potter's CDs - or I'm not ready for them - take your pick. OTOH, I've seen him live twice, once at the International Saxophone Symposium and once with Dave Holland at the Kennedy Center - and both times he seemed to connect solidly with the audience. Both times it was a super treat to be there. At any rate, I too would love to hear his take on ballads, alongside the likes of Dexter or Scott Hamilton (Nocturnes and Serenades, Ballad Essentials).

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2012-2015
5,903 Posts
Listen to Chris on the recent Paul Motian Trio's "Lost in a Dream" CD. His playing is very laid back (much more than usual) and introspective throughout the CD. I love it. I think it could make you change your mind.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts