1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Thanks, very interesting!

·
Banned
2,814 Posts
Great stuff indeed! Ya know, I feel as though I have to say this...and I mean this in a complementary way towards Chris Potter.... In my not so humble opinion, he sounds the SAME on each and every mouthpiece he plays. His sound is.....well......HIS sound. I've seen and/or heard him play on multiple mouthpieces over the yrs. and again, to me.....he sounds like Chris Potter on each and every one of 'em. Granted, when a player of his ability and stature plays metal, hard rubber, or freakin' aluminum (joke), he's going to get HIS sound in a matter of minutes. Mere mortals like me and 99% of us here don't have the ability to do that, but he certainly does. I just changed mouthpieces for the first time in 20+ yrs. and although I'm incredibly happy with what I've switched to and feel there IS a difference, I probably notice it more than someone else who hears me play. The feel, blow, resistance, etc. is probably what we as players notice far more so than an actual change in our sound. Granted, if I went from a Link to a Brilhart Level-Air, there would be a more drastic difference in overall sound, but when I (and the rest of us) to from one Link to another, or from a Link to a "Link-ish clone", I think the difference is more in our ears than a listeners ear(s).

As always, your mileage may vary. ;-)

John

1 - 5 of 5 Posts