Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
35,052 Posts
I just wish it had been more musical. High for the sake of high doesn’t do anything for me.

Disclaimer for the fanboys: Yes, Chris Potter has better facility of the altissimo range than me. Next?

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
4,468 Posts
I just wish it had been more musical. High for the sake of high doesn't do anything for me.

Disclaimer for the fanboys: Yes, Chris Potter has better facility of the altissimo range than me. Next?
I'm with you
Not a fanboy, but he says right in the video that it doesn't sound good and it's just a demo. Ripping just to rip? Boring day in forum land? Someone asked about ligatures changing tonal quality and only Milandro jumped down his throat about using the search first.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
35,052 Posts
Not a fanboy, but he says right in the video that it doesn't sound good and it's just a demo. Ripping just to rip? Boring day in forum land? Someone asked about ligatures changing tonal quality and only Milandro jumped down his throat about using the search first.
Can't I say that I wish it was more musical? No, not ripping just to rip - you've got that one for today.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,773 Posts
Hopefully he was just demonstrating why altissimo should be used sparingly, as 'spice' rather than the 'main dish.' Even a player as skilled as Chris Potter will be painful to listen to when playing nothing but altissimo!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
27,359 Posts
Even a player as skilled as Chris Potter will be painful to listen to when playing nothing but altissimo!
I was very impressed by his ability to work seamlessly in and out of altissimo when I saw him live. It actually shocked me a bit to hear the video clip of Giant Steps, which although impressive, was a bit grating.

·
23,773 Posts
It seems most folks missed the part where he says "..Doesn't really sound that good..."
I got that, which is why I mentioned the fact he also may have been demonstrating the problem with overusing altissimo.

Yeah, Grumps, he can definitely move seamlessly in & out of the altissimo range and make it sound musical, because in a 'normal' performance he doesn't overuse altissimo. I'm pretty sure what he was doing in that demo is not what he'd do in a performance (hopefully).

·
Registered
120 Posts
OK - I'll bite on this one (no pun intended). I think the point is he was showing a good way to practice getting more comfortable with altissimo. By limiting the range one is forced to keep exploring that register. It's a great PRACTICE technique, and practice doesn't always sound pretty. It's serving a greater purpose...

·
23,773 Posts
It's a great PRACTICE technique, and practice doesn't always sound pretty. It's serving a greater purpose...
+1. This sounds about right and is likely what he was doing. Mostly as a demo, I suspect. I do practice playing altissimo notes, but not for any extended period of time; it grates on my nerves after a short while. One good way to practice these high notes is to see how softly you can play them. That's a challenge and a little easier on the ears.

·
Registered
8,447 Posts
I was very impressed by his ability to work seamlessly in and out of altissimo when I saw him live. It actually shocked me a bit to hear the video clip of Giant Steps, which although impressive, was a bit grating.
You want to hear someone really seamless, check out Rick Margitza. When I listen to his recordings i almost don't recognize that he's gone off the horn. The altissimo notes have the same quality as the rest of his tone. Not muffled or sounding like bugle calls.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts