·
Registered
1,681 Posts
He makes it look so easy!

·
Registered
938 Posts
OW!!! My ears are bleeding! Just cuz you can doesn't mean you should lol

As Shania Twain said: "That don't impress me much";)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,723 Posts
I just wish it had been more musical. High for the sake of high doesn’t do anything for me.

Disclaimer for the fanboys: Yes, Chris Potter has better facility of the altissimo range than me. Next?

·
Registered
938 Posts
I just wish it had been more musical. High for the sake of high doesn't do anything for me.

Disclaimer for the fanboys: Yes, Chris Potter has better facility of the altissimo range than me. Next?
I'm with you

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
4,446 Posts
I just wish it had been more musical. High for the sake of high doesn't do anything for me.

I'm with you
Not a fanboy, but he says right in the video that it doesn't sound good and it's just a demo. Ripping just to rip? Boring day in forum land? Someone asked about ligatures changing tonal quality and only Milandro jumped down his throat about using the search first.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,723 Posts
Not a fanboy, but he says right in the video that it doesn't sound good and it's just a demo. Ripping just to rip? Boring day in forum land? Someone asked about ligatures changing tonal quality and only Milandro jumped down his throat about using the search first.
Can't I say that I wish it was more musical? No, not ripping just to rip - you've got that one for today.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
He's only doing a demonstration, I doubt he'd ever really play a whole chorus of Giant Steps in the altissimo register. He does like to go up there in most of his solos though...

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,682 Posts
Hopefully he was just demonstrating why altissimo should be used sparingly, as 'spice' rather than the 'main dish.' Even a player as skilled as Chris Potter will be painful to listen to when playing nothing but altissimo!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
27,253 Posts
Even a player as skilled as Chris Potter will be painful to listen to when playing nothing but altissimo!
I was very impressed by his ability to work seamlessly in and out of altissimo when I saw him live. It actually shocked me a bit to hear the video clip of Giant Steps, which although impressive, was a bit grating.

·
23,682 Posts
It seems most folks missed the part where he says "..Doesn't really sound that good..."
I got that, which is why I mentioned the fact he also may have been demonstrating the problem with overusing altissimo.

Yeah, Grumps, he can definitely move seamlessly in & out of the altissimo range and make it sound musical, because in a 'normal' performance he doesn't overuse altissimo. I'm pretty sure what he was doing in that demo is not what he'd do in a performance (hopefully).

·
Registered
118 Posts
OK - I'll bite on this one (no pun intended). I think the point is he was showing a good way to practice getting more comfortable with altissimo. By limiting the range one is forced to keep exploring that register. It's a great PRACTICE technique, and practice doesn't always sound pretty. It's serving a greater purpose...

·
Registered
938 Posts
It's a great PRACTICE technique
My neighbors as well as my wife would disagree LOL
Seems more to me like he might've been fielding questions and some kid probably asked him about altissimo playing, probably like "have you ever played an entire solo in altissimo?" LOL

·
23,682 Posts
It's a great PRACTICE technique, and practice doesn't always sound pretty. It's serving a greater purpose...
+1. This sounds about right and is likely what he was doing. Mostly as a demo, I suspect. I do practice playing altissimo notes, but not for any extended period of time; it grates on my nerves after a short while. One good way to practice these high notes is to see how softly you can play them. That's a challenge and a little easier on the ears.

·
Registered
8,393 Posts
I was very impressed by his ability to work seamlessly in and out of altissimo when I saw him live. It actually shocked me a bit to hear the video clip of Giant Steps, which although impressive, was a bit grating.
You want to hear someone really seamless, check out Rick Margitza. When I listen to his recordings i almost don't recognize that he's gone off the horn. The altissimo notes have the same quality as the rest of his tone. Not muffled or sounding like bugle calls.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts