Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone keeping up on Potter? I just happened to stumble across a video of Chris playing the new album live in France, and I noticed it looks like hes changed his setup? Back to the SBA again, and maybe a Tonemaster instead of the double ring? I've attached some screenshots.

chris1.JPG chris2.JPG

·
Registered
3,488 Posts

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?ur...&share_tid=355874&share_fid=3118&share_type=t

To the best of my knowledge he has never played on a double ring. He used a Hard Rubber Tone edge and then the Florida STM and now a Tone Master.

I'm sure he owns other stuff / has played other pieces, those are just the usual suspects.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
He did actually play both a No USA Florida and a Double Ring at different points in his career. I have a screenshot of a video of him on the DR and if i can dig it up I'll post it :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,253 Posts
And don't forget the socks. Good, swinging socks are essential. Otherwise you will sound pedestrian.

·
4,678 Posts
I wonder if these heavyweights know how much sax people watch their gear choices and changes.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I actually saw him around the end of January, even said hello. He was playing these complex lines in the altissimo effortlessly and perfectly in tune. I sat open mouthed most of the concert. But I didn't even notice his mouthpiece. My ears were so overwhelmed, my other senses must have shut down. He's always had a great sound no matter what the equipment.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, I agree equipment usually doesn't matter. I just wonder what inspired him to dig out the tonemaster, seems like an odd choice. Does anyone know anyone else blowing on them?

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
I read somewhere on here that he have his mk6 overhauled and I thought maybe he left his Florida in the case with it in order to have the neck cork sized to the piece and therefore grabbed the tone master and sba for the touring, just a thought? It doesn’t matter cause he sounds just like him anyway!

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
But more importantly, does he wear briefs or boxers, and has he changed them recently?
Your question is irrelevant: I have it on good authority that he wears long johns.

·
Administrator Emeritus
17,862 Posts
Yeah, I agree equipment usually doesn't matter. I just wonder what inspired him to dig out the tonemaster, seems like an odd choice. Does anyone know anyone else blowing on them?
I guess his Tone Master (the model from the second half of the 40's) is refaced to a 7* (which normally creates more baffle) and I'm sure he digs something in the sound (often a bit rounder and fuller compared to a Florida STM). I own a refaced Tone Master like the one Chris plays in an 8 tip and it plays wonderful (but it's not my main piece, which is a Florida no USA 10*).

I don't know much 'modern' players that play a Tone Master with the exception of Scott Hamilton (he changed some years back from a Florida STM), but many examples exist from the past. To name a few: Illinois Jacquet and Paul Gonsalves (during their whole career), early Arnett Cobb, Stan Getz (IMO he sounded the best on that piece), John Coltrane, Don Byas, Flip Philips, Joe Thomas (from the Jimmy Lunceford band), Johnny Griffin, Harold Ashby and many others.

·
8,097 Posts
I guess his Tone Master (the model from the second half of the 40's) is refaced to a 7* (which normally creates more baffle) and I'm sure he digs something in the sound (often a bit rounder and fuller compared to a Florida STM). I own a refaced Tone Master like the one Chris plays in an 8 tip and it plays wonderful (but it's not my main piece, which is a Florida no USA 10*).

I don't know much 'modern' players that play a Tone Master with the exception of Scott Hamilton (he changed some years back from a Florida STM), but many examples exist from the past. To name a few: Illinois Jacquet and Paul Gonsalves (during their whole career), early Arnett Cobb, Stan Getz (IMO he sounded the best on that piece), John Coltrane, Don Byas, Flip Philips, Joe Thomas (from the Jimmy Lunceford band), Johnny Griffin, Harold Ashby and many others.
Can we include Charlie Rouse? Or am I mistaken.

·
Administrator Emeritus
17,862 Posts
Can we include Charlie Rouse? Or am I mistaken.
Indeed Nick, for as far as I know he also always used a Tone Master.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts