Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it's not sax related, but anyone seen Chris Botti live before? I've been a big fan of his and he's finally coming to Buffalo. I have 2 VIP tickets that give me a meet-and-greet backstage before the concert.

·
Forum Contributor 2015, SOTW Better late than neve
4,272 Posts
Saw him with David Sanborn a year or so ago. Botti was very good that night. I really thought he stole the show. He's got a slick smooth sound.

·
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As cool as it will be to meet him, I wish he was doing this tour with a brand name sax player. I'd obviously have more to talk about with a sax player. I'd love it if I had a meet and greet with Warren Hill, Jeff Kashiwa, Eric Marienthal, someone like that. In my limited knowledge of trumpet players, I'd say Chris is about the best there is right now.

·
Forum Contributor 2015, SOTW Better late than neve
4,272 Posts
patseguin said:
As cool as it will be to meet him, I wish he was doing this tour with a brand name sax player. I'd obviously have more to talk about with a sax player. I'd love it if I had a meet and greet with Warren Hill, Jeff Kashiwa, Eric Marienthal, someone like that. In my limited knowledge of trumpet players, I'd say Chris is about the best there is right now.
Botti is a strong player has a very unique sound, but I wouldn't call him tops of todays crop. Check out John Swana. He's in a class by himself.

·
3,156 Posts
I agree that Chris Botti (Is it bow-TEE, or BOW-tee?) is a very smooth player with enjoyable sounds and technique, especially his interpretation of My Funny Valentine, but you chaps don't think Wynton is one of the best in his field?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2008,
3,891 Posts
I think its BAH-tee or BOT-tee

at least thats how everyone pronounces it around here!

·
3,156 Posts
The reason I asked is that I've heard it pronounced both ways by various show hosts and TV announcers. NBD.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I saw him play with Sanborn, too. It was an interesting combo; Sanborn's all-over-the-place style was really balanced by Botti's smooth, minimal style. Honestly, though, I don't think I would've been able to listen to a whole concert of just Chris Botti.

Of course, it was the drummer at that concert who really stole the show. Man, if only I knew who that guy was... he was incredible.

BTW, it's pronounced BOH-tee.

·
Forum Contributor 2008/Distinguished SOTW Member
3,295 Posts
Was it Billy Kilson (from Dave Holland's band)?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QA0GHgNGLL8

Also, he's been known to use James Genus on bass (from Dave Douglas and SNL). Funny thing was he was somewhat derragatory about Dave Douglas' approach in a Downbeat interview I saw. Oh well, ,to each their own.

·
2,767 Posts
goodsax said:
Is it bow-TEE, or BOW-tee?
I know a guy who's a family friend of Chris's, and he pronounces is BOW-tee. Of course, this guy's kind of a dip, and a known liar, so who knows?

·
Registered
562 Posts
Botti is a tough cat, after an hour I was getting bored. Love him though, and the drummer is the show. I was amazed that Botti gave him so much space. The whole Night Sessions CD, and When I Fall In Love. Take a special lady with you. Mayho

·
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, I saw Chris last night. Great show. You guys were right, the drummer really is the show. The guitar player was something else too. The drummer is a real showman though, probably one of the best I've ever seen. It seemed like a lot of the concert was Chris NOT playing. When he did play, it was great though. He'd be smart not to showcase such show-stealing band members though.

·
Registered
45 Posts
It is pronounced BOW-tee.

Really. I knew Chris many years ago.

He's a good cat. He knows the tradition. Used to play like Miles and Clifford. Don't fault him for looking for his own thing and having some commercial success too.

Chris has been playing great since he was a teenager.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts