Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Choosing a new mpc

Hi Guys,

Im looking around for a new Bari mpc. I currently play a rico metalite B9 but find this a bit bland if you don't give everything you've got,plus the tone is not very rich (if that's a thing).

I've been looking around a bit and would like to stay with a metal piece because i just like this better playing. I quite like how the SR tech pieces sound (don't know which one exactely) and i like the Theo Wanne Durga 3. I know these pieces are quite expensive but if they are good i don't mind spending it on this because we started getting paid from the band i play in.

I mostly play covers of pop and rock songs (destiny's child, Prince, Michael Jackson, Bruno Mars, Pharell Williams, Macklemore) and will play some R&B / funk stuff to the reportoire in the near future.

I hope you guys can give me some input on the pieces i named but also come up with some other pieces i should look into.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
The SR Tech piece is a nice all-around piece and a good choice if you're playing in a lot of different environments. I have one of the older model Durgas (I guess it would be the #1 since I think it was the original design) and it doesn't have as much edge as you might think given the size of the baffle. Overall the Metalite is not bad piece for what you are doing. I don't think you will get any more edge or cut with the SR and I'm not sure about the newer Durga. You might want to try a Jody Jazz DV or a high baffled Berg if you are sure you want a metal piece. RPC and Drake also make very nice pieces that you can get plenty of sound and punch from if you don't mind staying with a resin material. I use the JJ DV for the type of music you're describing and that's what works best for me. Bari pieces have a lot more variance in the size of the beak than alto or tenor so what you like may also depend upon how it feels in your mouth. I like pieces with lower beak angles like the JJ, RPC, and Drake but the Rico you're presently playing has a rather steep beak. If you like that you might want to try a Link STM with a baffle added, or a PPT.

Here's a demo I did about 18 months ago of 12 different bari pieces. I think I sound pretty much the same on all of them but they feel much different to me in terms of their playing characteristics. That's why you really need to try them for yourself to find what works best for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myoOUyJvMKE

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,934 Posts
Re: Choosing a new mpc

Hi Guys,

Im looking around for a new Bari mpc. I currently play a rico metalite B9 but find this a bit bland if you don't give everything you've got,plus the tone is not very rich (if that's a thing).

I've been looking around a bit and would like to stay with a metal piece because i just like this better playing. I quite like how the SR tech pieces sound (don't know which one exactely) and i like the Theo Wanne Durga 3. I know these pieces are quite expensive but if they are good i don't mind spending it on this because we started getting paid from the band i play in.

I mostly play covers of pop and rock songs (destiny's child, Prince, Michael Jackson, Bruno Mars, Pharell Williams, Macklemore) and will play some R&B / funk stuff to the reportoire in the near future.

I hope you guys can give me some input on the pieces i named but also come up with some other pieces i should look into.

Thanks in advance!
Good call on the Durga III. The bari player that I’ve been working with for the last 20 years is now playing a Durga III and sounds better than ever on her Yanagisawa B-992. Her previous pieces included Otto Link, Berg Larsen, and Fred Lamberson. She loves the articulation and dynamic response, and comments that it makes her job so much easier (two sets a night with a LOUD 16-piece big band). Highly recommended.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts