Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not sure where to post this question, so I am posting it here.

I am looking for a software or directions on using an existing software like Band-in-a-Box for setting up the following practice routine.

I would like to sustain a series of chords, without any rhythm, and be able to switch to the next chord in the progression by clicking on my mouse or keyboard when I want to go to the next chord, not when the software or recording has timed out of the chord.

For example, say I am wanting to work on a Blues Progression: Bb7/Eb7?/Bb7/Bb7/Eb7/Eb7/Bb7/Bb7/C-7/F7/Bb7/C-7F7/. I can go to a Jamey Aebersold play-along or program this progression into BIAB and get some sort of jazz combo sound at a certain tempo, in a certain time feel, and for as many choruses as I want. But what if I want to sit on that first chord for ten minutes before moving on without any rhythmic conditions placed upon that chord? What if after ten minutes of the Bb7, I want to move immediately into the Eb7 and explore that for four minutes? What are my options? Can BIAB do this? If so, how?

I can use a piano with a sustain pedal to do this. However, if I am holding an instrument, it is hard to play the next chord and maintain control of the instrument in my hands. Also, I have created a gap between the first chord and the next by stopping to play the next chord on the piano.

So, I hope I have made my question clear here. I want to have a chordal accompaniment without any rhythmic consideration attached to that chord while having it sustained until I decide to move to the next chord upon which that chordal accompaniment will change to the next desired chord. In my example, I used the blues progression, but would like to change the progression as I see fit.

Does anyone know if this is possible with BIAB or any other software or the like?

I appreciate any ideas.

Thank you.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Something like this would be a great improv practice tool. I'd like to know as well.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Isn't iReal just Band-in-a-Box for Mac users? I do not use Mac/Apple products. Not sure that I can load this onto my computer.

I am looking for just a sustained chord like one might play on a piano and then move to the next chord without having to fight a saxophone in the process. I also do not want any combo, rhythm section, style, feel, pulse, beat, dynamics, just plain old chord.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Isn't iReal just Band-in-a-Box for Mac users? I do not use Mac/Apple products. Not sure that I can load this onto my computer.

I am looking for just a sustained chord like one might play on a piano and then move to the next chord without having to fight a saxophone in the process. I also do not want any combo, rhythm section, style, feel, pulse, beat, dynamics, just plain old chord.
Same here. Very much interested in this

·
Registered
47 Posts

It's available on android as well.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Not sure if it would do what you want, but check out Random Roots app by Anton Schwartz. I have never used the app, but I was on Anton's site the other day and saw it. It is possible you could make it do what you want, but I am not clear if you can hear the chord the whole time.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Why couldn't you just put a huge number of repeats, then load the next key when you want to move on?

A sustained chord is trickier. I'd pick a very simplistic style and mute everything except piano.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Another "I don't know" - but maybe look at some of the drone apps? That do tanpura or Dhwani sounds?
I have Tanpura droid - and you can't save a sequence or such but some might...

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,943 Posts
This can be very useful and I understand the problem when you are practising on your own. I used to do this with students. I would play a chord on the piano for a a while, by doing a tremolo on the chord and the student would play around a bit then on to the next chord.

The way I would do it is to record each chord like that, either rolling a tremolo or maybe a sustained organ sound.

Each chord is then made into a separate mp3 file (you could do this with GarageBand, Logic, or whatever DAW/sequencer you like if using a PC.

Then make an iTunes playlist so each chord is a separate track.

You then play the first chord in iTunes, play around over the chord and when ready just hit the arrow to move on the the next chord (tracks) in the playlist.

Bear in mind it looks like apple are about to deprecate iTunes, not sure what the replacement will be or what other players you might us - but the principle would be the same.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts