Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I have been trying to figure out the chord changes for this tune, and I am having a tough time getting the chords down.

During the opening section, the piano riff is in C as far as I can tell, but after that I can't seem to get the voicings.

It sound like it goes from a C7 chord to an F chord of some type, and then after that I can't seem to pickup where it is going.

In the solo section, I seem to have that pretty close to correct, but the melody sections seem to move a bit more, and it's really throwing me.

Anyone have any ideas?

·
Banned
1,921 Posts
That piano figure is just C in octaves, and the notes in between are F, E, Eb, E, so the progression is F/C, C, Cmin, C. Pretty simple, but the changes for the head are interesting, I need a while with those.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
same here, I got the opening piano in seconds, that is pretty simple, but the chords that go through the melody are really throwing me. I keep getting mixed up on whether the root is on the bass, or if the bass is playing 3rds, etc. It has been very challenging, I am still sitting at a piano and trying to play it out, but I haven't gotten it down yet. It is very challenging for such a simple sounding piece.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Heh, me too man. I am having trouble finding time this week. Too many evening engagements. This weekend, I am going to be really cracking at this, I'll check and see if you or anyone else has made any progress, and I'll post my results here.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Hello

I'm new on the forum, it is my first topic. Don't blame me, but I'm a French trombone player, so my English is not that good and so is my sax playing :) But I really dig sax players' work and especially Brecker on this tune, Tumbleweed. I picked out these chords on the melody (play them on piano to hear how it sounds) ; each bar is delimited by a double // :

C7sus // Eb/Ab ; F/A // C/G ; Eb/Bb // F/A ; Eb7sus // C7sus // Eb/Ab ; F/A // C/G ; Eb/Bb // F/A ; Eb7sus // C.

These chords are written in C, I didn't transcribe them to Eb or Bb. Hope this helps !

·
Registered
25 Posts
What are the changes that you have down for the solos? I have a lead sheet for the head with changes if you'd like it.
Thanks
Ben.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts