Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What's your favourite chops bible?

Probably old hat to a lot of you, but new for me: Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book". I'm a bit of a theory junkie and have read aroud quite a bit, but I have to say that Levine's book is astoundingly good. It is the only theory book I have read that has made me *want* to practice, and made me play through the examples at the keyboard and on the horn. Examples and patterns are nearly all from recorded solos, and the commentary wonderfully informal, without being technically sloppy. Great detail on Coltrane changes and other exotica for the more adventurous. This is theory, without the BS, for musos. Definitely worth the cover charge.

So, any contenders?

S.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Steinel's book comes a very close second for me. In matters practical it is a perfect complement to Levine's chapters 4 and 6. Levine provides overall way more discussion of Theory, though, so for me it wins as a more "complete" reference. Luckily I have plenty of bookshelves, so I don't have to choose :)

Does anyone *not* have the Omnibook??!! Doesn't help with chord voicings or Trane changes much tho.....

S.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.