Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I'm a senior in HS and I'm looking for for colleges that have good music programs, I live in california but don't mind going out of state. I wan't to major in performance, or possibly music ED. Here is a list of school that I might apply to, the list is big and I need to knock a few off. It consists of some of the top sax schools and others as back ups. Any others I may want to consider? I have a 4.0 with average SAT scores and study with David Henderson, Sax Prof. at University of the pacific.

In State:
University of the Pacific
San Diego State
USC
UCLA
CSULB
CSUSJ

Out of state:
University of Michigan
Oberlin
University of Indiana
University of Minnesota
New England conservatory
University of Oregon

·
Registered
138 Posts
Hello-

I'm a freshman sax performance major at UCLA.

I applied to several of those schools...UOP, USC, UCLA, and Indiana. I know nothing about music at San Diego State. I've heard that CSULB and CSUSJ have solid programs, and I know that CSU Sacramento does. I studied with the professor at CSU Sacramento for a long time, and I'd really suggest looking into that too. Also check out CSU Northridge. I've heard music there isn't bad either.

As for more out of state big saxophone schools, Northwestern and Ithaca College are two more.

I don't see a reason not to <i>apply</i> to all those schools. However, if you want to audition at every single one of them that could get a little difficult. But it would help to do something like do all the SoCal schools in one trip. Applications can get somewhat expensive, but flying to that many out of state auditions could get quite pricey as well. Not to mention tiring...

But it's definitely better to have too many than not enough.

And if you have any specific questions about UCLA, just send me a PM.

Good luck!

Andrew

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,147 Posts
Western Michigan (Trynt Kynaston)
Ball State (George Wolf)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2008
1,208 Posts
I grew up in Stockton. It is a little slice of hell. I wouldn't go to UOP for any reason unless you were in the Brubeck program. Seriously, you can't overestimate the value of the town you live in. Stockton is boring, flat, devoid of anything interesting and full of rednecks. And yes, I've been there recently.
One last thing, one thing to consider is finding a teacher who is in the town where you go to school and studying privately with that person. Charles McPherson lives in San Diego and he's probably the baddest alto player alive. His lessons are reasonably priced and he's totally cool to hang with. This is just one example. There are many all over the place.
When I was at Berklee I studied with Joe Viola but studied privately with Joe Allard. It was a great balance.
Just a thought.

·
Registered
639 Posts
andrewb be sure to say hi to Joe for me from Ricardo (me) if he's still there.

As far as schools, I would really recommend studying out of state, especially if you're going to be doing music performance, because that's where the really strong classical saxophone schools are at. If you're going to study in California, however, do your self a favor and go to the University of the Pacific. The newly appointed saxophone professor there is fantastic and quite frankly I wouldn't study with anyone else in California. I studied with professor Henderson for several years and I have never made as much improvement with any professor as I have with him. Now I'm in Minnesota studying with Rousseau but every summer when I return to Cali, I take lessons with professor Henderson because I really believe he is one of the best teachers out there and more importantly you see results! Do seriously consider the University of the Pacific but if you decide on out of state, I'll be happy tell you more about the program in Minnesota. Also, consider San Jose State University for schools in California.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts