Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok... I know I'm going to be yelled at for this no matter what...

Basically, I am auditioning for a spot in a jazz group, but there are no tenor spots (my main ax) so I will be playing bari. Not a big deal, except I neither own a bari or a bari mouthpiece.

Since I don't have a couple grand to drop on a horn I think I should at least try to get a mouthpiece.

How does one try out mouthpieces without knowing what horn one will be playing the mouthpiece on? I'm sure this is a big no no but I don't exactly have a lot of other options. I think I will be playing a King Zephyr or a Yamaha YBS-52. Anyone have ideas? Also, if anyone had a good recommendation for a good (cheapish) bari piece for a newbie I would really appreciate it.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I would get something similar to what you play on tenor. If you're used to Link pieces, try a HR Link or maybe something with a little more baffle since bari takes more air. Bergs work well but that's going to be hard to buy one and not know if it will play, although the same could be said for the Link. Runyon Quantum or Custom would probably work well.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I have a Tone Edge for bari that is in perfect condition other than some very light teeth marks. I will sell it to you for $80 and that is including shipping. It is a really good mouthpiece.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2007
467 Posts
Bari Mouthpieces

The logical thing to do would be to go to a music store that has a bari and try some bari mouthpieces on a bari. Or borrow a horn. Or wait until you get the horn you are going to be playing.

That said, I can tell you this. I play bari and tenor. For some reason I have found that I can get the sound I want out of a bari on a variety of mouthpieces. So if you buy something kind of middle of the road and not too expensive, you will probably be fine.

For me tenor is much more mouthpiece sensitive. If you look around here you will find a lot more discussion about tenor mouthpieces than anything else. Of course, there are fewer bari players.

I have a Jody Jazz rubber bari piece that has a removable baffle. It is my backup piece. It's not bad, and the Yamaha should tolerate the baffle fine if you want to use it. If you want to mellow it out, you can remove the baffle. They are not too expensive, either.

Scott

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,774 Posts
Scott Ramminger said:
The logical thing to do would be to go to a music store that has a bari and try some bari mouthpieces on a bari. Or borrow a horn. Or wait until you get the horn you are going to be playing.

That said, I can tell you this. I play bari and tenor. For some reason I have found that I can get the sound I want out of a bari on a variety of mouthpieces. So if you buy something kind of middle of the road and not too expensive, you will probably be fine.

For me tenor is much more mouthpiece sensitive. If you look around here you will find a lot more discussion about tenor mouthpieces than anything else. Of course, there are fewer bari players.

I have a Jody Jazz rubber bari piece that has a removable baffle. It is my backup piece. It's not bad, and the Yamaha should tolerate the baffle fine if you want to use it. If you want to mellow it out, you can remove the baffle. They are not too expensive, either.

Scott
I agree with all of that. I'm pretty much in the same situation as you (bari player with no horn). I just bring my bari Metalite around in my Tenor case everywhere I go, since places where I play tenor tend to be the places I'll encounter a bari to play.

I wouldn't reccomend the Metalite for use on just any horn. It can be hard to control on brighter horns (Yamaha, in particular), and, while the tone is great on darker horns (Conn 12M...droool), intonation can be a little difficult, although still workable. In fact, after raving about them for so long, I'm actually thinking of getting something more middle of the road (I've also switched from a Berg to a Link on tenor), like a Berg, Meyer, JJ or HR Link.

The Metalite is great, but it's just a little thin in the high notes. Of course, this has only been an issue recently, now that I only get to play bari a few times a year. It was never a problem last year, when I was playing bari every day, so I'm probably just rusty.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,036 Posts
I would use a Link Tone Edge in a fairly open facing with a lighter reed. Actually a Yamaha stock mouthpiece may work OK. The Link for $80 sounds like a winner. Forget the metals as they will work you to death on a Bari. I toured on Bari and the low A Selmer was fun except after about an hour of holding it!

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
I'm going to throw in another vote for the JodyJazz/Runyon option. I use JJs on all S/A/T, two of which are Yamahas. While it probably isn't safe to assume the JJ would perform similarly on bari as on the other pieces, I'd still say it's a good bet. Of course, I have no clue how a JJ performs on a Zephyr.

As mentioned above, look at Runyon, especially the Custom model. It's the same mouthpiece as the JJ with a slightly different facing, and comes in a lot cheaper.

Good luck!

·
Prodigal Son and Forum Contributor 2008
10,794 Posts
dirty said:
...so I'm probably just rusty.
You're too young to be rusty. You're just dirty, clean it up and you'll be fine.

BTW, I don't get rusty, I get crusty. It's easier to remove after the gig.

·
Prodigal Son and Forum Contributor 2008
10,794 Posts
Eulipion2 said:
As mentioned above, look at Runyon, especially the Custom model. It's the same mouthpiece as the JJ with a slightly different facing, and comes in a lot cheaper.
I agree. Get a Runyon. I think it's easier to get good intonation with them, in general.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts