Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every year, there is a Brazos Youth Concerto Competition, and I need help choosing a concerto. The concerto cannot exceed 12 minutes in length and it can be any concerto and any 1 movement.
This is the link to the competition
http://bvso.org/events/faso-youth-concerto-competition/

·
SOTW Administrator
26,208 Posts
I don't know your proficiency level, but either mvt of the Ibert would work.

The Villa Lobos Fantasia is under 12 minutes, I believe.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
concerto de camera would be a tough piece to do. I was thinking like glazunov's concerto.

·
Registered
836 Posts
concerto de camera would be a tough piece to do. I was thinking like glazunov's concerto.
Man, I'd dig in and do the Ibert. If you do the 2nd movement, which has slow and fast sections, it works as a pretty complete but concise audition. It is technically demanding but a lot less to memorize than the Glazounov. I did a lot of concerto competitions when I was younger, and every time I won it was with playing Ibert. It seemed to stand up better to the other competitor's (different instruments) music. Hard to compete with Rachmaninoff and Tchaikovsky on Saxophone. Best of Luck to you!!

·
SOTW Administrator
26,208 Posts
Glaz is too long....I think it comes around at about 15 minutes, and it's only 1 mvt.

I suppose you could make a cut somewhere....

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So before I also actually go digging into and buying music, and it might be stupid of me to ask, but I'm still kind of confused of the term concerto.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,208 Posts
Generally speaking, a concerto is a work for band or orchestra with a solo featured that shows off an instrument. There are a few around that show off a small group of instruments, but generally, it's a soloist.

Many concertos are in a three movement form. fast-slow-fast. The Glaz is in one movement, but still has more or less distiinct sections. The Ibert, while it is called a 'concertino' is only called that because the orchestra is rather small. It also has a fast movement, but the slow movement and ending fast movement are written to be performed without a pause between the two.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Generally speaking, a concerto is a work for band or orchestra with a solo featured that shows off an instrument. There are a few around that show off a small group of instruments, but generally, it's a soloist.

Many concertos are in a three movement form. fast-slow-fast. The Glaz is in one movement, but still has more or less distiinct sections. The Ibert, while it is called a 'concertino' is only called that because the orchestra is rather small. It also has a fast movement, but the slow movement and ending fast movement are written to be performed without a pause between the two.
Not to get off topic, but isn't Ibert called "concertino" because it was originally just the first movement, with the second and third added later?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
187 Posts
my bad

Forgive me [rolleyes], but isn't a concertino something like a little accordion?

I'm really sorry, but I can resist anything but temptation and terrible puns...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts