Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi ... here is a sad story. Someone stole my tenor sax when i leave it for few seconds. It was a Selmer Paris Super Action.
I live in Peru and I bought it when i travelled to the US. Here in Peru we don't have too much to choose from.
Now I have to work and have to choose from the best I could find : Selmer (Taiwan) TS500 and Jupiter JTS 689 GL .
I know these cheap horns are going to be so far from my Selmer Paris but I would like to pick the best option. Any recomendation, background info or thoughts?
Thank you in advance.
Derrick

·
Banned
3,043 Posts
If you are going for a lower priced horn and want one that performs above its price, then by all means try a Phil Barone Vintage or Classic Tenor Saxophone. They are made in Taiwan, and mine plays better than my Selmer SA 80 Series II ever did. Search Phil Barone Tenor on this forum and you will find several reviews which support my opinion. Additionally you can email Phil Barone and he would be happy to speak to you himself.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
If you are going for a lower priced horn and want one that performs above its price, then by all means try a Phil Barone Vintage or Classic Tenor Saxophone. They are made in Taiwan, and mine plays better than my Selmer SA 80 Series II ever did. Search Phil Barone Tenor on this forum and you will find several reviews which support my opinion. Additionally you can email Phil Barone and he would be happy to speak to you himself.
+1

I used to own a Yamaha Custom 875 Silver-Plate, which I thought was a fine tenor. Then I played a Barone Vintage. I quickly sold the Yamaha and bought the Vintage. I also played the Classic it's no slouch. In fact, I sold my Yamaha Custom 875 Silver-Plate Alto & bought a Classic Alto.

Amazing horns. Even more AMAZING prices.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Derrick,

I live in Chile, and the instruments and gear availability maybe is just a little wider than Peru, so I know your dilemma. If you need to choose, take the Jupiter, better ergonomics and consistent construction. I assume you`re talking about brand new saxophones.

Good luck with your quest.

K.

PD: make an effort and try to recover your Super Action, request in auction webs (MercadoLibre), call the police, facebook, etc. have you the serial number, pics? maybe your instrument appear in Chile.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
8,948 Posts
I have a MacSax Classic and it is a wonderful horn!!!

When I bought it I thought I would be getting a great horn for the money. Instead I got a great horn.

I've owned Selmer Modele 26, Mark VI, Mark VII, H.Couf Superba II, Grassi Prestige and a couple not worth mentioning. The MacSax classic can hold it's own to any that I've owned.

Notes ♫

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you guys for your answers and advices. I think I'll buy the Jupiter JTS 689 GL. We have here a Yamaha dealer but I don't have the money right now, and I really hope I can recover my sax.
Thanx Konex for your suggestion. I'll post the serial every sax- forum I find.
Derrick.

·
Banned
3,043 Posts
I have a MacSax Classic and it is a wonderful horn!!!

When I bought it I thought I would be getting a great horn for the money. Instead I got a great horn.

I've owned Selmer Modele 26, Mark VI, Mark VII, H.Couf Superba II, Grassi Prestige and a couple not worth mentioning. The MacSax classic can hold it's own to any that I've owned.

Notes ♫
The Taiwanese have come a long way in 50 odd years.

·
Premium Member
11,596 Posts
Admin Note:

I've had to edit-out some un-necessary noise that was in this thread and, in order to keep the coherence of the discussion I've had to remove other people's posts too, which weren't really on topic -- Please do not take it personally; it doesn't mean that you have done something wrong.

If I have mistakenly removed one of your post which you believe was on topic, please PM me or another forum Admin and it'll be our pleasure to consider your request and restore your post(s) if deemed possible.

Thank you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts