Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys so I'm predominately an alto/soprano guy but recently I've been offered some opportunities to play tenor. I'm looking to buy something super cheap because it would spend most of its life in the case.

I have a lead on a 400$ French Beaugnier Vito and a 600$ Yamaha 23. Both are in similar condition. Fair to good with the majority of lacquer still on. Id be prepared go habe whatever repairs needed.

I have a much bigger focus on sound/tone than I do on features and ergonomics.

Anyone have experience with these horns ?they'd like to share.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
No direct experience, but those are ballpark prices for functional presentable horns, that won't hurt if you decide to trade. I consider a tech visit, to be like a tank of gas: just a consumable expense that doesn't factor in the value of the car/horn.

·
Banned
2,844 Posts
I have had a bunch of the Beaugnier Vito tenors. There are many different variations of these. I prefer most over a YTS23. I think the tone on some of the Beaugnier tenors I have owned are as good as anything out there.

·
Registered
567 Posts
It would help us to see a photo of the Beaugnier to see which version you are looking at. The last of them was kind of like a Balanced Action Selmer. They had a more modern, but idiocentric left hand pinky mechanism and in-line tone holes. A quick observation is to agree with the previous posts. The Beaugnier will have a more complex and interesting tone. The Yamaha will have a better keyboard.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
17,998 Posts
With the Beaugnier being offered for $400, expect a good $200+ of servicing required.

The Beaugnier will sound better, period. Even the ones with vintage keywork still have nice ergos.

FWIW, I have a completely refurbed Vito-Yamaha 21 for sale for under $500, just fyi.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
With the Beaugnier being offered for $400, expect a good $200+ of servicing required.

The Beaugnier will sound better, period. Even the ones with vintage keywork still have nice ergos.

FWIW, I have a completely refurbed Vito-Yamaha 21 for sale for under $500, just fyi.

Best of luck.
Where are you located? Thats sounds right up my alley. How are the left hand pinky keys? Pictures? No leaks? 😊

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It would help us to see a photo of the Beaugnier to see which version you are looking at. The last of them was kind of like a Balanced Action Selmer. They had a more modern, but idiocentric left hand pinky mechanism and in-line tone holes. A quick observation is to agree with the previous posts. The Beaugnier will have a more complex and interesting tone. The Yamaha will have a better keyboard.
Here's some pictures of the vito. Thanks.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have had a bunch of the Beaugnier Vito tenors. There are many different variations of these. I prefer most over a YTS23. I think the tone on some of the Beaugnier tenors I have owned are as good as anything out there.
Yea I remember the 2nd alto from Lincoln Center mentioning that he played a French Vito. I never really knew much about them until I looked into buying one.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
7,133 Posts
Yamaha.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,597 Posts
You say that your focus is on sound/tone - what kind of sound/tone do you like? What kind of music would you be playing? The Yamaha will likely be brighter, the Beaugnier darker.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hello thanks. I prefer a darker more rounded and mellow sound. Its sounding like I'm going with the vito.Which is what I try to achieve from my setup. From the horn though I would be focused on resonance, ability to ring and play with a general round sound.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Here's some pictures of the vito. Thanks.
OOHHHH!!!! Get it! That is a good one.

That is about as modern as the Beaugnier horns got. I have a baritone from the same era. It sounds great. The left hand pinky takes a bit to get used to, but it is really pretty fast and slick. I had the opportunity to play test a Yamaha Baritone this week back to back with my Beaugnier. The Yamaha YBS 52 is a wonderful instrument, but the character of the sound is far more generic than the Beaugnier. The intonation of the Beaugnier is also very good.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OOHHHH!!!! Get it! That is a good one.

That is about as modern as the Beaugnier horns got. I have a baritone from the same era. It sounds great. The left hand pinky takes a bit to get used to, but it is really pretty fast and slick. I had the opportunity to play test a Yamaha Baritone this week back to back with my Beaugnier. The Yamaha YBS 52 is a wonderful instrument, but the character of the sound is far more generic than the Beaugnier. The intonation of the Beaugnier is also very good.
I snagged the Vito. And it's on its way. And honestly couldn't be happier especially for how much I paid for it. 😊🎷😊🎷

I've heard a lot of people say the French made ones were manufactured along other important French made horns of the same time.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
I snagged the Vito. And it's on its way. And honestly couldn't be happier especially for how much I paid for it. 😊🎷😊🎷

I've heard a lot of people say the French made ones were manufactured along other important French made horns of the same time.
Nice, you can probably find some similar half round ABS pearls to replace the missing ones at a crafts store, or Ebay:

View attachment 215348

1 - 15 of 15 Posts