Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to this but my cheap leak light shows a small chip on the high D tone hole right near the pad. Repair guys have told me this should not really effect anything because it's so small, but it really does (I think). Something is very off with my sax- the octave D2 to D3 sucks. . BTW, it's an American made Conn M21. Is the some way to fix this? It seems like a small bit of solder would do the trick, Thanks in advance.
Kent

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist/Official SOTW Guru
3,764 Posts
Can you post a pic? If it's leaking, it's going to have an effect. If it's infinitesimally small, the repair guy may be right, but I'm guessing that if you can see the leak and notice a chip in the chimney, it's got to be large enough to make it worth fixing. If it's not a massive chip, it'll be a pretty simple fix but I'm really guessing without a pic.

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
... I'm guessing that if you can see the leak and notice a chip in the chimney, it's got to be large enough to make it worth fixing...
I agree.

I have used a soldering gun (+ added flame heat if necessary) to fill such "chips" with lead-free (approx 95%tin, 5% silver) solder. (It resists corrosion far better and is about twice as strong as lead solder.)

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
The "chip" may actually be a split in the seam where the body was brazed together from a sheet of metal. In that spot the brazing could not cope with the drawing of the tone hole.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
2,547 Posts
An easy way to test whether it makes a difference is to fill the chip with superglue.
Use the gel type.
A small blob can be placed on the hole from the inside of the tone hole. Shave down a couple of matchsticks to make miniature spatulas and carefully smooth the gel into the chip - and before it sets clean off any glue from the outside of the tone hole (wipe it up rather than across). Ditto the inside.
Level off the top - or slice it off later when the glue has dried.

Chances are it will last forever - but if you find it improves matters and you want the chip filled with solder it'll be easy enough to remove the glue.

If you want more control over the job, try a blob of resin filler - JB Weld is excellent for this sort of thing. It pays to warm the resin and the surface first as this makes the resin flow and ensures a proper fill of the area in question. You'll also have plenty of time to clean up any excess.

Regards,

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I took the sax in to my latest repaiman, told him what you guys said, and he fixed it in 15 minutes. The sax works fine and he charged me nothing. You can't beat that. Thanks.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
29,583 Posts
I took the sax in to my latest repaiman, told him what you guys said, and he fixed it in 15 minutes. The sax works fine and he charged me nothing. You can't beat that.
To be honest you can beat that. You should find a tech who can diagnose and fix such things without being told what other techs said on a forum.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
2,081 Posts
To be honest you can beat that. You should find a tech who can diagnose and fix such things without being told what other techs said on a forum.
Oh. I always thought that the fastest way to make a new friend or two in a shop is to tell the shopkeeper that "the folks in XYZ forum recommended you do it this way". :lol:

(point taken)

(I am an IT engineer and am always delighted when folks pop by with a sick '****r and tell me "you know, my nephew is a computer tech as well and he recommended using xyz." Don't I just love them nephews...)

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
29,583 Posts
Oh. I always thought that the fastest way to make a new friend or two in a shop is to tell the shopkeeper that "the folks in XYZ forum recommended you do it this way". :lol:
Maybe, I'll try that next time I take my horn to be fixed:

"no, Stephen, you don't want to do it like that...."

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
40,336 Posts
[rolleyes] I can just see the scene before my eyes.........:faceinpalm::twisted:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
4,691 Posts
On the radio this morning they had an article from the health department, on the pressures the internet is applying to the health system, apparently people are self diagnosing themselves and then taking articles in with them to the doctors saying I have this wrong with me, the doctor then has to explain why thats not whats wrong with them prior to actually discussing the problem itself, which is slowing the process down, Go the internet warriors and wikipedia

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
40,336 Posts
it was pretty much the same in days gone by with encyclopaedias and informative articles , watch this!

Three men in a boa by Jerome K.Jerome .......

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
2,081 Posts
On the radio this morning they had an article from the health department, on the pressures the internet is applying to the health system, apparently people are self diagnosing themselves and then taking articles in with them (...)
Hmm. I remember some sketch on TV where a patient sees his doc and says "I think I have myxomatosis" (or whatever the ailment's name) and the doctor replies "so you're subscribing to Reader's Digest as well?".
That was before Al Gore invented the internet, and even before there were bar code labels on every product.
(boy do I feel old today)

·
Distinguished SOTW member, musician, technician &
5,031 Posts
It's not clear that his repairer needed to be told what anyone said on a forum. The fact that he told him and the fact he repaired it might just be two things that happened, not necessarily depending on or related to each other.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts