Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried these chinese reeds (Flying Goose,white Crane etc.)?? They are pretty cheap, but are they any good ???

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
playitfunky said:
I wouldn't put anything in my mouth that comes from China.
What a ridiculous statement! I don't own a Chinese sax or have Chinese reeds but I have had students that do and they played fine, reeds and all. Have you heard the rumour that Selmer Paris now manufacture in China as well?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
878 Posts
Saxplayer67 said:
What a ridiculous statement! I don't own a Chinese sax or have Chinese reeds but I have had students that do and they played fine, reeds and all. Have you heard the rumour that Selmer Paris now manufacture in China as well?
Ridiculous, but funny. :)

I'd never believe that Selmer's are manufactured in China. That just seems wrong...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2010
3,310 Posts
Grumps said:
Perhaps they're worried more about toxicity (oh boy... here we go again!).
Have you ever seen a French public toilet:shock: I'd be really wary of putting anything French in my mouth after that:)

PS, Sorry, I'm English, I'm contractually obliged to have a go at the French if the opportunity arises:twisted:

Ive never tried Chinese reeds, but life has taught me never to opt for the cheapest item on the shelf, as generally its the cheapest for good reason.

·
Banned
5,336 Posts
Flying Goose reeds from China are absolute crap. They are cut to the wrong dimensions (clarinet) and the reeds have no "heart" in the center to speak of. They are simply reed shaped objects that are made out of poor quality cane.

I personally tested dozens of the Flying Goose reeds at different strengths for our store manager who was looking for an economical reed to supply with our rental instruments. I played a Vito clarinet with a B45 mouthpiece with a Rico 2 1/2 and then the same set-up with a Flying Goose 2 1/2 for him. The Chinese reed made the clarinet sound like a KAZOO. He immediately said let's dump what we bought on E-Bay---we don't want our local music students to sound like that!

In my opinion they would be more appropriately named "Squawking Goose" reeds, but I suppose Flying Goose is close enough. Enough said.

Simon Weiner said:
Whats wrong with Chinese reeds? Kids that JUST start playing, cant tell the difference anyway right?
Please tell me you are just kidding. Them's "fightin' words" to a band teacher if you are not. :boxing:

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
jbtsax said:
Flying Goose reeds from China are absolute crap. They are cut to the wrong dimensions (clarinet) and the reeds have no "heart" in the center to speak of. They are simply reed shaped objects that are made out of poor quality cane.

I personally tested dozens of the Flying Goose reeds at different strengths for our store manager who was looking for an economical reed to supply with our rental instruments. I played a Vito clarinet with a B45 mouthpiece with a Rico 2 1/2 and then the same set-up with a Flying Goose 2 1/2 for him. The Chinese reed made the clarinet sound like a KAZOO. He immediately said let's dump what we bought on E-Bay---we don't want our local music students to sound like that!

In my opinion they would be more appropriately named "Squawking Goose" reeds, but I suppose Flying Goose is close enough. Enough said.
So a 2 1/2 Rico is okay but a 2 1/2 Flying Goose is a kazoo. The answer is obvious - a 3 in Goose will be the same in Rico. You KNOW different brands' strengths are not the same your argument is just an excuse to nail the Chinese. I sounded like a kazoo last night when teaching a student - why? Because my Vandoren Java 2 1/2 was one I had played to death, i.e. now too soft. So that's why the Goose sounded like a kazoo, it was too soft for your setup, not that it's necessarily crap.

·
Banned
5,336 Posts
Saxplayer67 said:
So a 2 1/2 Rico is okay but a 2 1/2 Flying Goose is a kazoo. The answer is obvious - a 3 in Goose will be the same in Rico. You KNOW different brands' strengths are not the same your argument is just an excuse to nail the Chinese. I sounded like a kazoo last night when teaching a student - why? Because my Vandoren Java 2 1/2 was one I had played to death, i.e. now too soft. So that's why the Goose sounded like a kazoo, it was too soft for your setup, not that it's necessarily crap.
Excuse me, Saxplayer I have been playing sax and clarinet for fifty years and teaching for over thirty. I think I know something about reed strengths and matching reeds to mouthpieces. I'm sorry I said Kazoo, that was pretty mean spirited. What I meant to say was comb and tissue. :)

Sorry to burst your bubble, but I tried out Goose reeds in 2, 2 1/2, 3, 3 1/2 all the sizes our store ordered. They all played poorly regardless of the strength. I even tried clipping some with reed clippers. The demonstration that I did for the store manager was to compare the Rico 2 1/2 that we normally supply with the student rentals with the equivalent reed in the Goose. If you put the Flying Goose and a Rico side by side and take measurements, you will find that the Chinese reed's vamp area is cut too long, but most importantly there is very little arc in the center of the reed where the heart should be. It is this lack of thickness in the center of the reed that causes the poor tone, not the fact that the reed is soft or hard. I stand by my statement that they are crap---goose crap to be more specific.

On the other hand if you like the way you sound when you play on them, then by all means buy and use them. :) There are a whole bunch for sale right now on E-Bay 10 for $4.99. If they don't play the way you want, they are great for starting campfires or making your own toothpicks.

John

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
2,110 Posts
It seems hard enough for the major manufacturers to make consistent reeds, why would I trust a crappy copy? You get what you pay for.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
I heard that the "phat reeds" are from china and have to admitt that I really like them for alto (not from china)

·
Banned
481 Posts
Played one on a gig last weekend and craved Mo Goo Gai Pai for three days. The MSG caused my fingers to swell so much I couldn't play piccolo. Cravings for all things from China got so bad I had to go get a massage-- cost $200.00 but it was worth it-- the reed that is-- cheap.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts