Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

I got to try out many products at the Texas Music Educators Association (TMEA) convention this past week.

While there, the standout product for me was the Chedville alto sax RC mouthpiece by Jody Espina of Jody Jazz mouthpieces.
These things played and sounded sooo sweet! I just HAD TO have one....then I was told the price.
$450!

For a hard rubber classical mouthpiece?

Well, it turns out they are made out of a much more costly proprietary hard rubber. I did some research and Jody briefly talked to me about this as well.

I have learned a lot on this forum about jazz mouthpieces but honestly don’t know nearly as much about classical mouthpieces. I know about the major brands like Selmer and Vandoren but really not too much past that. I see jazz mouthpieces break the $300 price point regularly but have never seen a classical do the same .

Can any members educate me about Chedville mouthpieces (I know Jody recently acquired the name and company), prices of highly desirable classical mouthpieces, proprietary hard rubbers, and anything else that can go into the cost of a mouthpiece. And of course, let me know if you have play tested one!

I think if I had gone into the convention having done my research I may have had more confidence to buy it. It really did play more than two times better than my $200 soloist style mouthpiece I currently play on.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Why would a classical mouthpiece be any different to a jazz mouthpiece when they are handmade? Maybe classical players might be less into flipping mouthpieces and be less willing to pay extraordinary prizes than jazz players, but considering the efforts to make great mouthpieces they should be about equal for both types. What I don't buy in, is the more costly and proprietary ebonite. That is usually marketing and nothing more. Lets say the blank is double in costs, and the costs of it are probably neglegible to the work put into making the piece, 450 $ is a bit steep for the finished piece. There are other makers (jazz) selling in this range and they have happy customers. These pieces will make it. As you said, classical pieces tend to be cheaper and maybe that is the angle to sell it at that price point: These pieces are unique as they are expensive and they are excellent as they are the only ones at this price, so they have to be excellent. Buy pricey and be happy for the rest of your live. Believe I heard that from time to time when it comes to mouthpieces.

Alphorn.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts