Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

if you wanted to check out Trane, which Solos would you transcribe to cover his different periods/states of developement?

All the best
PBS

·
Registered
Keilwerth saxes (S/A/T), Selmer clarinets (S/B), Altus Azumi flute
1,930 Posts
This could go on endlessly, and will depend on how you define his different periods, but here some of my favorites (assuming tenor only, and that you want solos that are representative, but not too difficult to transcribe):

1. Original Miles Davis Quintet era(1957 and earlier) :
- "Dear Old Stockholm" and "Round Midnight" from the Miles album "Round Midnight" (recorded 1955-1956)
- "Blue Train" and "Moment's Notice" from the album "Blue Train" (recorded 1957)
- "Stardust" from the album "The Stardust Session" (recorded 1957)

2. Sheets of sound/ Second Miles Davis Quintet/ Atlantic Records era (1958-61):
- "Stella by Starlight" and "Green Dolphin Street" from "'58 Sessions" (Miles, recorded 1958)
- "So What" from "Kind of Blue" (Miles, recorded 1959)
- "You're a Weaver of Dreams", "Grand Central", and "The Sleeper" from "Cannonball & Coltrane" (recorded 1959)
- "Giant Steps (alternate take)" from "Giant Steps" (1959). Note that I'm talking about the alternate take on the 1998 reissue. This is the version that features Cedar Walton, rather than Tommy Flanagan, on piano. It's played at a slightly more relaxed tempo and, IMHO, features a much more creative solo than the take on the original record.
- "Body and Soul" from "Coltrane's Sound" (recorded 1960)
- "Blues to Elvin" from "Coltrane Plays the Blues" (recorded 1960)

3. Early Impulse era (1961-1965)
- "Africa" from "Africa/Brass" (recorded 1961)
- "The Feeling of Jazz" and "My Little Brown Book" from "Ellington & Coltrane" (recorded 1962)
- "All or Nothing at All" and "What's New" from "Ballads" (recorded 1962)
- "After the Rain" from "Impressions" (recorded 1963)
- "Alabama" from "Live at Birdland" (recorded 1963)
- "Crescent" from "Crescent" (though you could really transcribe the whole album; this is my favorite of the Impulse! albums; recorded 1964)
- "Resolution" from "A Love Supreme" (recorded 1964)

4. Avant Garde / Late Impulse era (after 1965):
- I'm not really a fan of this period, so I don't have any suggestions here.

·
Registered
Keilwerth saxes (S/A/T), Selmer clarinets (S/B), Altus Azumi flute
1,930 Posts
One more that I forgot in the earliest period:

There's a version of the Jackie McLean tune "Little Melonae" on a 1988 Columbia compilation of live recordings from 1955-1958 called "Miles and Coltrane". Coltrane's solo on it is laid back, well-structured, and just very tasty all around. It's perfect for transcribing.

I'm not sure whether it was originally issued on some other album or what the recording date is for that particular track, but I would guess that it's from the early part of that period (i.e., circa 1955).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts