Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8,032 Posts
$4500 for that. Ridiculous. I bought a Selmer BA for $3200 last June.
I’ve seen at least one Big B at the local music store that’s used in a public school here.

·
Registered
349 Posts
$4500 for a tenor in that condition doesn't seem far off, TBH. I'm more appalled by the Mark VI they linked to on the same page (and someone actually BOUGHT) for 12 large.

·
Registered
Alto sax, Tenor sax, Clarinet
1,309 Posts
You would have to be a collector to pay this price. If you played it, it would slowly wear and you would watch your horn drop by more than $3K right before your eyes.

·
Registered
957 Posts
I am not sure what the price premium for a pristine vintage horn should be, but regardless it is beautiful to behold. These horns really are works of art.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,019 Posts
It is beautiful and these are great horns, but I'd rather not pay the extra $$ just for pristine lacquer. You could find a really nice silver-plated one in top playing condition for less than half that price!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,939 Posts
It is beautiful and these are great horns, but I'd rather not pay the extra $$ just for pristine lacquer. You could find a really nice silver-plated one in top playing condition for less than half that price!
Yepper. I'm sure you recall the Big B that I had a couple years ago. I offered it here for $2600 and it wouldn't move.

Delightful horns. We had many discussions of them here: https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?237451-Jumping-onto-the-Big-B-bandwagon

·
Banned
2,844 Posts
Agreed rediculous price. Whaler you found a one off price on your horn. However you frequently bring it up like it sets the market value. Please show me where these cheap Selmers are?

·
Forum Contributor 2014-2017
994 Posts
Yikes, I remember wanting that one badly. That's what I remember.
Yeah. Me too. I was drooling over Dr. G's silver Big B.

I've seen several near pristine Big B altos for sale at very reasonable prices over the past few years. I bought a "near new" one myself a few years ago that had been in its case since about 1947 for under 1K. I'll never part with it. Big B tenors in pristine condition? Not so much. Sometimes perception is a relative thing and it was the first thought that popped into my head. So who knows? It might be worth $4500 to a collector, especially if he plays guitar. (see below)

To give perspective on prices, new and used production classical guitars that would be considered the equivalent of a "pro" horn like the Big B start at around $4 - 5K. Single luthier hand-made concert guitars (valued maybe like a Selmer "sweet spot" MK VI) go on up from there past $18,000 all the way to "Inquire". I'm in the market for a spruce top instrument equivalent to my hand-made concert cedar top classical guitar and have shopped extensively in person and on-line. I'll be visiting GSI (dealer) in Los Angeles this week but no hope of finding anything these days, new or used, of similar construction for under $8K - 12K. Basically, I can't afford one so I'll have to keep my wallet in my back pocket while I'm there. I completely understand the objections to an overpriced horn and maybe (probably) saxophone players are more savvy in that regard than guitarists (insert joke here ________). But seriously, my disappointing search for a new guitar makes me grateful for, and a bit desensitized sometimes to the saxophone market and a gorgeous $4500 pristine Big B.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,019 Posts
But seriously, my disappointing search for a new guitar makes me grateful for, and a bit desensitized sometimes to the saxophone market and a gorgeous $4500 pristine Big B.
I hear what you're saying. The fact is the '30s-early'50s Aristocrat tenors are seriously undervalued. They compare favorably to most any top line vintage (or modern) horn. Yet their actual market value is considerably less than $4500, so even if $4500 is a 'good' deal compared to what you'd pay for an equivalent guitar (or even a more highly-valued, but comparable horn), given that actual market value, it's still way too much. It's a truly deal deal to be able to pick one up in top playing condition for $2.5 k or even less.

·
Registered
8,032 Posts
Agreed rediculous price. Whaler you found a one off price on your horn. However you frequently bring it up like it sets the market value. Please show me where these cheap Selmers are?
It’s always somebody who’s trying to dump these kind of saxes who thinks they’re worth that much.
Nice sax but even pristine is it really worth more than about $1200? Not that I would even pay that for an old clunker like this.
I’ve found two good deals on Selmers with local sales. I’m still waiting on the two widows and one daughter I know who have Mark VIs to get back with me. Especially the daughter, even if she doesn’t sell me the sax
You haven’t been able to find deals on eBay in years and the now you have the $12,000 and up horn flipper prices.
I only buy what I want to play so I just look to buy and sell. I think I’m done with BA I bought. I didn’t think I can find one better

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,580 Posts
It’s always somebody who’s trying to dump these kind of saxes who thinks they’re worth that much.
Nice sax but even pristine is it really worth more than about $1200? Not that I would even pay that for an old clunker like this.
I’ve found two good deals on Selmers with local sales. I’m still waiting on the two widows and one daughter I know who have Mark VIs to get back with me. Especially the daughter, even if she doesn’t sell me the sax
You haven’t been able to find deals on eBay in years and the now you have the $12,000 and up horn flipper prices.
I only buy what I want to play so I just look to buy and sell. I think I’m done with BA I bought. I didn’t think I can find one better
Even those "widows and daughters" look online now to see what things are worth, and I'd be shocked if they didn't think they could get $20k for that old relacquered Mark VI.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts