Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After seeing that rack that a SOTW member had for sale a few weeks back, I knew it was time to do something about all mouthpieces rolling around on my desk. So after checking out several area hardware stores, I came up with something that would be tasteful, compact and allow me to easily survey all the money I've wasted over the years on mouthpieces that I don't play every day. :bluewink:

So here are the pics:

·
Registered
251 Posts
Wow that is Killer!! Nice job!!

·
5,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks really nice. What are the spikes made from ?

Isn't dust going to be a worry with this in the open ?

Rhys
They are door brass door stops. I cut the top of of each one with bolt cutters and then put on little rubber caps. I had to pre-drill the oak board and then I just screw them on.

And since my with was raised on a farm, we don't really acknowledge the existence of dust. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Wow what rack.!(sorry couldnt resist it) :)
andy

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
Can it truly be called a mouthpiece rack when you keep soprano necks on it?

·
Forum Contributor 2012, SOTW Saxophone Whisperer,
3,341 Posts
My experience is that dust is not a probem for mouthpieces, as much as sunlight which really helps greenify the hard rubber.
+1

Charlie

·
5,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Can it truly be called a mouthpiece rack when you keep soprano necks on it?
Well, the tenor necks wouldn't fit. :(

Maybe I need to build a neck rack next. :bluewink:

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
yikes!

·
5,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm glad to see you have got plenty of spare room on it.
Well,

This rack holds a total of 23 mouthpieces. If I removed the three Link caps and the two sop necks, there is still five slots there. Plus, the extremely ancient clarinet mouthpiece on the far right probably deserves its own place of honer somewhere else. So that leave six spaces total.

And of course, I still have the mouthpiece drawer for the pieces that I will never use and are not interesting enough to put on display. I guess I should just sell those. But I heard somewhere that the total number of mouthpieces you own helps increase your playing ability. So I'm keeping those for the point value. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
ive finally gotten around to showing off my rack!!

i found this Smoking Pipe stand at an Antique shop,and luckily it was pretty reasonable(under 100)...i can imagine it went for upwards of 300 in a pipe shop....

the sections cradle every kind of mouthpiece i need to use it for....i make sure to put my tenor pieces on a slight angle so that they lock into place...soprano is to small,bari is too big....and I dont have any use for an alto mouthpiece!!!

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
ok the pic links might help!!!

[URL="
[/URL]

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
4,881 Posts
Damn, Omar, you're out of control! That is a nice rack though!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.