Sax on the Web Forum banner

Check in for the Sax Symposium Jan 15 & 16 2010 at GMU

14K views 76 replies 16 participants last post by  qwerty 
#1 ·
Check in time for the US Navy Band Saxophone Symposium at George Mason University in Fairfax, Virginia Jan. 15th & 16th.

Who is going?
Who is playing?
Who is vending?

If you'll be there, join some of the regulars at the Red Hot & Blue up the road from the University on Chain Bridge Rd. for happy hour at 4pm on the 15th to get things started.

#4 ·
I will be there! Playing in the Concert Hall on Saturday morning (Jan. 16th) at 9:00 AM with Marty Nau and John Dawson (playing some good ol' tunes ... alto madness!!). We will also be playing at Twins Jazz at 8 PM (www.twinsjazz.com) on January 14th (the Thursday night before the symposium starts)! It's going to be two burnin' shows! Hope to get so meet up with you guys at both shows!

-Andrew Francisco

#5 ·
I plan to be there. I haven't figured out whether I'll come down on Friday this year.

Mike, where are you staying?

#6 ·
I'll be there...I'll be there...just call my name...

I'll throw my guitbox and a little amp in the car just in case we find a place to do some jamming.

Yeah Grumps, where exactly am I staying? (having booked my room with your lovely assistant).

I'll be at the Red Hot and Blue on Friday by 3:00 pm-ish. Anyone there before 4:00, drinks are on me.

#10 ·
Nice digs and thank you for the excellent room rate...but 10 miles from George Mason? We need a designated driver, and it ain't gonna be me.

Maybe we can grease the shuttle driver...

#12 ·
To those who may be on the fence, if you're within a five hour drive you really owe it to yourself to attend this event. From Friday afternoon through Saturday night, we're talking total saxophone; quartets, combos, clinics, lectures and shows. And it's all absolutely free. You can get a room nearby for under eighty bucks a night or you can send me a PM to get the hook-up for the posh hotel for $69 a night. There is really nothing quite like this and each year we get more and more SOTW folks to attend. Make this your year.

#14 ·
I always bring a horn for that just in case situation where we have a venue to jam. One year it was in the hotel where I stayed, where the staff let us use the piano in the bar to entertain well into the late hours. There are also certain clinics that encourage folks to bring their saxophones. But if you don't want to bring a horn, at least bring a mouthpiece or two to try out the horns in the vendor area. There has been a consistent showing of pretty much all the new offerings from the major brands, with more and more vintage dealers showing up as well.

I haven't been over this year's schedule in depth as of yet; just looked to see when other SOTW members are playing. But it's always a good bet to catch the daytime clinics/recitals of the main performers who sit in with the Navy bands at night.

Bethesda should be fairly close. Just check out Fairfax Virginia on an online map and look for George Mason University.

#20 ·
Staying closer has its benefits, but at the same rate for the econo-lodge I can stay in a palace with first class amenities. Besides, the times I'll be traveling back and forth, it'll only take about 15 minutes either way. Plus, they have a bar in the hotel that's open late, and if Yofis is bringing a guitar we don't need a piano. Not that we'll be able to talk our way into playing/jamming somewhere, but I've been successful at it more than a couple of times when staying at a nice place with facilities; and have had great fun to boot.

#21 ·
Not that we'll be able to talk our way into playing/jamming somewhere, but I've been successful at it more than a couple of times when staying at a nice place with facilities; and have had great fun to boot.
I'm sure your lovely Assistant could make a call and get this room setup gratis...

View attachment 15789

#22 ·
I'll be there. I live about an hour from there now, so I'm definitely going to go, tenor in hand.

#28 ·
I will be there. Red Hot and Blue at 4 p.m.

Looking forward to seeing old friends and meeting new ones. Oh yeah and partying like a rockstar with my new best friend, Yofis.

#35 ·
I'll be there on Saturday. Anyone want to do lunch. They normally have food there for a few dollars in cash. Nice place to just talk about saxes. It is in the lobby.

Anyone have a line on a JAM on Sat. either before the Community peroformance and Samus Pefromance or afterwards?

-So far I see people meeting for the 9am performance in the main hall.
-people meeting at 4 at Red Hot Blue on Friday,( can't make it).

#37 ·
No Kilt I think, although it's tempting... but I'll probably be in some sort of NC State attire, and either in a wheelchair or crutches. Will have at least a tenor and a bari with me. Will try to hit Red Hot and Blue. Not sure if we can make it by 4, but how long do you guys usually hang out there? Won't be able to stay long at dinner Saturday since I may have to play at a 7pm deally

#38 ·
Not sure if we can make it by 4, but how long do you guys usually hang out there?
One time we had to get out before 6pm to catch Mojobari's lecture (and Mojo was with us!). Though I can't make it Friday, I'd suspect if there's nothing in particular the guys want to catch prior to the concert band show at 8pm, they just might linger a bit past 6pm.

A few tips:
The hot wings are really hot and the best bet is to get the "dry" ribs (and then you can add your choice of their sauces).

And say hello to the bartender for me...

#39 ·
Their Barbeque ranch sauce is phenominal with the Onion ring loaf or whatever it is. We have one right on campus so it works out pretty well.

Ok, so since you can't be here for the whole thing, are we doing a big lunch on Saturday then to get you to hang out with us?

#40 ·
Ok, so since you can't be here for the whole thing, are we doing a big lunch on Saturday then to get you to hang out with us?
Yeah, I'll join the gang for lunch (meet in the lobby by noon) and I might catch the beginning of the dinner get together... that's if I can be there Saturday (which is looking more probable).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.