Sax on the Web Forum banner
61 - 77 of 77 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,160 Posts
I didn't say it was, but hanging out in the parking lot I felt kinda smothered when you and Yofis started playing. I guess it's just different playing styles and the direction that I went with my music, but I wish I could blow something decent in situations like that to feel a bit less embarassed

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
27,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
Oh, I was thankful you let me noodle a bit on your VI tenor. And trust me, a lot of folks feel awkward when trying out horns in front of others. I just blow somewhat randomly up and down the range and to heck with what anyone thinks; even if I know I'm squawking a bit too much. But as for that VI, I'd hold on to it... just to say you have one. Never know when that might come in handy.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,160 Posts
I'm not picky on who plays my horns. Very few of them mean enough to me that I have problems letting them out. One of my baris I'm not a fan of loaning out, but will let people play it if I trust them and I'm there. My flute doesn't leave my hands very often either, neither does my King Voll True II alto.
I think it's a good horn though, just depends if I can move some of the other stuff. I have too many horns that are ending up as closet horns. If it sells it sells, if it doesn't, I'm not going to be rolling over because of it.
Hopefully next year I'll be able to bring a bari and my bass. Probably end up with a soprano just to have something easier to carry around, but I'm really just not comfortable on alto and tenor for solo type stuff. I'll do section work and pits with them, but I'm a bari player. 98% of my sax playing is on bari. Most of the musicals are all flute and clarinet stuff. As much as I'd love sax to be my primary, as far as horn that I'm most comfortable on, and can play the best, flute has it, followed by clarinet. I just love sax and it's not that I'm bad, it's just I have to focus so much on my flute and clarinet playing, that sax gets neglected most of the time. Oh well, I've got some stuff lined up this spring that should change that. Have a small combo type deally that is playing weekly at a restaurant, so that'll get me some more play time improvising on tenor. Just me a piano player and my roommate playing drums. Hopefully that'll help

·
Registered
269 Posts
Hey, enjoyed hangin' with you guys again this year :) Next year I'll get there on Friday as well. Highlights for me were the Duquesne University Quartet (best I saw this year), Philippe Geiss (OMG!!!), KenFen Quartet (Smokin' and Rockin' Martin sax sound), The Swedish Jazz (a fun sax and guitar duet), The North Carolina Saxophone Ensemble (16 saxes in tune!!!), and of course The Commodores (loved the Mingus tune most).

It was a long day for me. Left home at 5:30 am and got back at 1 am :shock: Well worth it.

TJ
thank you for mentioning duqusenes quadratomic sax quartet. keep an eye out for them. in addition to playing the symposium they performed and did master classes at two highschools over the weekend. they play on staying together as a unit after graduation. the four of them have excellent chemistry. also keep your eyes peeled for gao xin, the soprano player. as a soloist he will is already worth remembering.

·
Banned
1,812 Posts
I should live long enough to be so weak! The thing that struck me about the mouthpiece playing, other than I'd never seen it, was that the music reached me. That's the acid test for me.
I was talking about the tone of it not the playing. I had just heard a friend play a bamboo flute in that native american style. I'm sure he could have played one too. Notice it took him a few seconds to get any tone. The novelty didn't impress me.

·
Forum Contributor 2010 & Distinguished SOTW Member
2,945 Posts
Jneelt! Okay, I couldn't remember your SOTW name... It was a pleasure to meet you! And you should have some emails later this week. :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
5,183 Posts
I think that the breathy start on the 'nino which evolved into a tone was intentional on Geiss's part and I dug it. Grumps may be right that he is the first chair alto of the world, but I really enjoyed everything that he did on the sopranino and bass as well. I love that a guy with such amazing control of the instrument also has a very obvious sense of humor. I would travel the 6 hours each way just to hear him again.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
27,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
I would travel the 6 hours each way just to hear him again.
I'm sure they'll have him back as he now seems to be a regular in their rotation of guests. Maybe by next time he'll have gotten another sopranino and he'll be using two of them to beat on his bass sax for some additional alternate rhythms...

·
2,945 Posts
When Philippe Geiss played the sax without a mouthpiece like a flute, it really amazed the audience but the tone was weak. It would have sounded much better on a bamboo flute. I think making beautiful music is more important than showing off. He certainly accomplished both for the rest of his performance though.
I think that the breathy start on the 'nino which evolved into a tone was intentional on Geiss's part and I dug it. .
Yeah...Me too. And sometimes it ain't about the technique..it's about the sound, the vibe, the soul of it. In the Concerto program when he did that flute sound on the sopranino, it really fit the mood of the piece... the breathy-ness was part of its color and fit the scoring underneath pretty well. Had he picked up a bamboo flute at the begiining of the piece and played the same thing...I don't know....

Ever see those middle eastern dudes who play the violin on their knee and bow it like a 'cello? And use a non-traditional non-western scale? Is that any less legit than traditional violin playing? Any less authentic or have any less musical honesty and integrity? Just sayin'.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
5,183 Posts
If anyone knows where to get a copy of his "Saxophones and Percussions," or anything else he wrote, I would really appreciate a heads up.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
I struggled with the sopranino flute thing...not because it wasn't cool or didn't have any soul, but because it was often out of tune. My entire nervous system tries to fix an out of tune note...and when it is played by someone else, it actually hurts.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Alright then! Here you go:

Smile Jeans Social group Alcoholic beverage Jacket

Friday Afternoon at the Red Hot & Blue. $2.99 apps, Sierra Nevada Pale on tap, and old and new friends.
From left to right, saintsday, JohnnySax, jneelt, Lamplight, differencetone, qwerty, Mojo, and Yofis.

Joint Jeans Shoulder Gesture Interaction

Mojo and SaxPlayer1004 at the Friday Night Concert

Smile Window Gesture Collar Jacket

This one is for you, Marty.

·
2,945 Posts
Here's one of the gang at Red Hot and Blue on Friday that's a little brighter.... Same suspects.

Attachments

·
2,945 Posts
One more thing...Anybody else cringe when Philippe Geiss would pick up or place his alto in the stand...by grabbing the horn by the neck??!! :shock:

·
2,945 Posts
I dunno...I thought it was ethnic and earthy and lent a mysterious, ethereal quality to the opening of the piece. To each his own!

61 - 77 of 77 Posts