Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
27,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Check in time for the US Navy Band Saxophone Symposium at George Mason University in Fairfax, Virginia Jan. 15th & 16th.

Who is going?
Who is playing?
Who is vending?

If you'll be there, join some of the regulars at the Red Hot & Blue up the road from the University on Chain Bridge Rd. for happy hour at 4pm on the 15th to get things started.

·
27,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
To those who may be on the fence, if you're within a five hour drive you really owe it to yourself to attend this event. From Friday afternoon through Saturday night, we're talking total saxophone; quartets, combos, clinics, lectures and shows. And it's all absolutely free. You can get a room nearby for under eighty bucks a night or you can send me a PM to get the hook-up for the posh hotel for $69 a night. There is really nothing quite like this and each year we get more and more SOTW folks to attend. Make this your year.

·
27,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I always bring a horn for that just in case situation where we have a venue to jam. One year it was in the hotel where I stayed, where the staff let us use the piano in the bar to entertain well into the late hours. There are also certain clinics that encourage folks to bring their saxophones. But if you don't want to bring a horn, at least bring a mouthpiece or two to try out the horns in the vendor area. There has been a consistent showing of pretty much all the new offerings from the major brands, with more and more vintage dealers showing up as well.

I haven't been over this year's schedule in depth as of yet; just looked to see when other SOTW members are playing. But it's always a good bet to catch the daytime clinics/recitals of the main performers who sit in with the Navy bands at night.

Bethesda should be fairly close. Just check out Fairfax Virginia on an online map and look for George Mason University.

·
27,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I've stayed even further than that before. I just like a nice place where I can get a deal for me and for others. There won't be much back and forth, and I've got the timing down to beat the rush hour.

·
27,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Staying closer has its benefits, but at the same rate for the econo-lodge I can stay in a palace with first class amenities. Besides, the times I'll be traveling back and forth, it'll only take about 15 minutes either way. Plus, they have a bar in the hotel that's open late, and if Yofis is bringing a guitar we don't need a piano. Not that we'll be able to talk our way into playing/jamming somewhere, but I've been successful at it more than a couple of times when staying at a nice place with facilities; and have had great fun to boot.

·
27,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Had to alter my plans a bit and may only be able to make it Saturday during the day... which is a pity because I would surely have liked to have hit the pre-happy-hour hour when Yofis is buying. Things come up however, and though unfortunate in timing, it's nothing unfortunate in nature. I just might have to take another road trip.

·
27,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Am I to bring my saxophone?
Always a good idea if you're going to take part in the more hands on clinics; so long as you don't mind carrying it around or leaving it in a cold car. Should I get there on Saturday, I might bring my beater Silversonic just to see if Qwerty likes it as much as my 10M. And that's part of the fun of course; trying each others horns and/or having a horn available should an opportunity to jam be had.

The first SOTW event for Saturday is Andrew's alto madness in the main Concert Hall at 9am. Tailgating a half hour prior is optional. After that, should I be able to make it for that day, I'm heading to the vendor room before it gets too crowded (as it usually does in the afternoon).

·
27,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Not sure if we can make it by 4, but how long do you guys usually hang out there?
One time we had to get out before 6pm to catch Mojobari's lecture (and Mojo was with us!). Though I can't make it Friday, I'd suspect if there's nothing in particular the guys want to catch prior to the concert band show at 8pm, they just might linger a bit past 6pm.

A few tips:
The hot wings are really hot and the best bet is to get the "dry" ribs (and then you can add your choice of their sauces).

And say hello to the bartender for me...

·
27,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Ok, so since you can't be here for the whole thing, are we doing a big lunch on Saturday then to get you to hang out with us?
Yeah, I'll join the gang for lunch (meet in the lobby by noon) and I might catch the beginning of the dinner get together... that's if I can be there Saturday (which is looking more probable).

·
27,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Is lunch just in the lobby with their stuff or are we going off campus?
They just serve sandwiches in the lobby, and there's usually a line. I generally don't eat lunch, but if we go to a bar I'll grab a bite. We can work that out when we meet up. I just want to be back by 1:30 to catch that show by a SOTW'er in the Harris Theatre.

·
27,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Some initial thoughts in regard to Saturday's events...

First off, Andrew is an incredible player. Was very glad to catch him in action; especially their initial number. I also want to give a shout out to the University of Indiana (in Pennsylvania) that had a most excellent saxophone ensemble. Hearing them while I was heading up the steps to the third floor tier, for a second I was wondering why a string orchestra was playing. Great sound and a nice mix of tunes as well.

Great to see more SOTW'ers there this year, and it was my pleasure geting to listen to acts, trying out horns and havin' a beer with you guys. I guess the only downside was the Revenge of the Chinese Horns; where after trying out three of them I realized I cut the hell out of my hand on the sharp, thin metaled, unrefined edges of the cheap hardware invovled. Better luck next year...

·
27,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
Oh, I was thankful you let me noodle a bit on your VI tenor. And trust me, a lot of folks feel awkward when trying out horns in front of others. I just blow somewhat randomly up and down the range and to heck with what anyone thinks; even if I know I'm squawking a bit too much. But as for that VI, I'd hold on to it... just to say you have one. Never know when that might come in handy.

·
27,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
I would travel the 6 hours each way just to hear him again.
I'm sure they'll have him back as he now seems to be a regular in their rotation of guests. Maybe by next time he'll have gotten another sopranino and he'll be using two of them to beat on his bass sax for some additional alternate rhythms...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts