Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings All,

So I got this really good deal on a used Yamaha 275. I ended up buying the last cheap MP on my way to try out the horn, which turned out to be a Rico Royal B5... $15. It is serving it's purpose right now, but in terms of dimensions, how would going to a Selmar C* be different?? Right now, the low notes are a little harder to blow. I don't remember the Yamaha YTS-23 being that difficult to blow in the lower register back in high school - but that was 20 years ago and my lungs are prolly not as in shape... Gonna take the horn in for a tune-up, but in the meantime

Being an intermediate player (I think, anyways), I read that a good medium facing/medium chamber MP would be a good place to start

·
Forum Contributor 2015, seeker of the knowing of t
4,345 Posts
Hi there

I did the same change on Alto, the result was a very pleasing change in tone and playability of the horn. Just my experience - results may vary!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,269 Posts
The Rico Royal B5 is not a bad mouthpiece. I wouldn't call it a good mouthpiece, but there's not really anything wrong with it. If you haven't played in a long time, you might want to spend some time with the Rico to get a little bit used to playing the horn again. That way, when you buy your next mouthpiece, whether that's in a month or in a year, you'll at least have some point of reference to tell good (better) mouthpieces from bad (worse) ones.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
dirty said:
The Rico Royal B5 is not a bad mouthpiece. I wouldn't call it a good mouthpiece, but there's not really anything wrong with it. If you haven't played in a long time, you might want to spend some time with the Rico to get a little bit used to playing the horn again. That way, when you buy your next mouthpiece, whether that's in a month or in a year, you'll at least have some point of reference to tell good (better) mouthpieces from bad (worse) ones.
I am actually getting pretty nice warm tone with the combination. The ligature doesn't fit properly. I never really thought that the little clamp would make a difference but apparently it does! This might be affecting things...

With focused and disciplined breathing, I can play the low notes quietly/controlled and the high notes are fairly smooth and squeak free.

·
Registered
784 Posts
The Rico B5 is quite a bit more open (facing) than a Selmer C*.

If you're used to a Selmer C* on tenor it's no wonder you're having low note problems.

I have quite a few Rico MPC's and it's definitely a brighter piece than the Selmer.

Like you said, it's going to take some practice to control the Rico.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,269 Posts
Sparky444 said:
I am actually getting pretty nice warm tone with the combination. The ligature doesn't fit properly. I never really thought that the little clamp would make a difference but apparently it does! This might be affecting things...

With focused and disciplined breathing, I can play the low notes quietly/controlled and the high notes are fairly smooth and squeak free.
Well OK, then! It sounds like you're ready to go mouthpiece shopping. I'm sorry...:twisted:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts