Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
3,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why is it cheaper to order individual pads then a set of pads from Music Medic?
I saved $14.77 by ordering individual pads.
I could see if they were smaller pads but they were all larger.
Just wondering, whats that all about?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,127 Posts
Curt actually disclosed that in another thread (well, at least to the point where you can save by buying exact sizes).

If you buy a 'set', you have the option of getting 5 replacement pads if you need them...so the cost of that is figured into the price of a 'set'. So on one side of the spectrum, if a customer wouldn't require additional pads Curt potentially gets a little extra profit...on the other side, he could end up covering the cost of five pads and shipping, which explains any kind of a cushion on 'set' sales.

But maybe there's even more wiggle room with the 5 replacement pads...I couldn't tell you.

·
Forum Contributor 2012, SOTW Saxophone Whisperer,
3,209 Posts
Don't you think his time invested compiling a record of the correct sizes, and packaging them as such is worth something?

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
1,404 Posts
Why is it cheaper to order individual pads then a set of pads from Music Medic?
I saved $14.77 by ordering individual pads.
I could see if they were smaller pads but they were all larger.
Just wondering, whats that all about?
Here are the things that cost more when selling a pad set:

1. Customer service on pad sets takes a lot of time.
2. Pulling pad sets takes longer than pulling individual pads.
3. The Pad set guarantee cost money but is necessary to avoid an amazing amount of customer anxiety.
4. Second shipment, packing materials, labels etc... all cost a lot.
5. Keeping up, improving, and updating the list of pad sets takes a fair amount of time.
6. Some people like loose fitting some like tight. So, the same set might work for one and not another.
7. Restocking a returned pad set is often not possible and the set is wasted in whole or part.
8. I had to build and stock a "pad set station" strictly for pulling and making pad sets.

There is nothing cheaper or more advantageous to buying pad sets. Plus, when you order individual pads each pad comes in a labeled bag. So, if the 30.0 is too large you know to order a 29.5... etc.. With a set, all the pads are just bunched into a bag.

Since our prices are as low as we can make them and we have free shipping, there is no room for sales or a lot of discounts. This is why we have to charge more for pads sets that cost us more. For years, I would not sell pad sets but so many people kept asking we just tried to find a good way to do it. We do try really hard to get the right pads in the sets. It's not so easy!

Good question.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician, Forum Contributor 2
1,759 Posts
I'd say that pad sets are a nice service for some people, but in most cases, buying pads by the individual sizes makes sense for most folks, IMO.

Some sax manufacturers varied their design over time within a given model (the Martin Handcraft Imperial comes to mind), so I think it is extremely difficult to keep an accurate database.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts
Curt is the man. And the price of his sets are well worth it. I've bought two tenor and one bari set in which every pad fit perfectly. But Curt sent me several resized pads when I was doing my TT alto with his black roopads. I figure the sizes just vary somewhat on some saxes. And I really appreciate his willingness to sell pads like this to players like me that might repad one of my saxes myself every few years.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
1,404 Posts
You don't have free shipping if you charge more for the pads to cover shipping.
Good point. But I did say, "Re-shipping" in my list above. But yeah, things like, electric, heating, cooling, insurance, shipping, water, overhead, customer service etc.. are all figured into the price of pads. This is life, without it we would not be a very good supplier. However, even with that, we still have the lowest price pads available and we have free shipping!

Thanks for your comments.

Enviroguy, thanks so much. Your kindness is MUCH appreciated! I'm glad I (my company) was able to help!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
3,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Curt.
I now see that you have 1/2 mm sizes, I think this will help me alot when measuring.
I will see about ordering a set for a YAS 23 and compare prices, I have been getting them from Allied, the prices seem to go up every year.
Again, thanks for being there for us.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts