Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dented the straight neck for my Kessler Custom Model 2 soprano sax and I can't stand using the curved one (or any curved one)... does anyone know where I can get a cheap replacement neck that will play in tune?

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,888 Posts
the cheapest and best thing to do is to have it undented (not too expensive) or alternatively ask Kessler themselves to provide to part that you need. Any other solution (i.e. finding a donor ) exposes you to cost (adjusting the tenon) or to intonation problems.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the cheapest and best thing to do is to have it undented (not too expensive) or alternatively ask Kessler themselves to provide to part that you need. Any other solution (i.e. finding a donor ) exposes you to cost (adjusting the tenon) or to intonation problems.
Last time I asked they said this problem has never happened before and therefore they don't stock extra necks. How much does this repair work usually cost?

·
38,888 Posts
very strange way to think about service to the customer from Kessler! To say the least unprofessional and probably against some regulations too since the vendor (when he is the importer) is , I believe, compelled to offer service and parts.

The Kessler logic which you report is also frankly speaking very questionable. Irrespective of the fact that this is a rare occurrence, they buyer of a 2 necks saxophone could easily misplace a neck and loose it, so although not many people bend it several can and will lose it in time.

You better ask a repair person in your area about the repair but any tech should be able to do it and to charge a reasonable amount for that.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Clarification point here... it is true that I do not have the replacement soprano necks in stock and in the 6 years of offering our sopranos, have not had the need for replacement necks for the soprano. I do have a few necks coming in my next order (November 2011) specifically for the original poster's needs.

·
38,888 Posts
so the OP wasn't aware that you were going to provide him with the part that he needs.

So it seems that there is no problem then!

You are stocking and providing the needed parts and he can buy one from you. How come did he get the impression that you were not going to carry the spares?

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
so the OP wasn't aware that you were going to provide him with the part that he needs.

So it seems that there is no problem then!

You are stocking and providing the needed parts and he can buy one from you. How come did he get the impression that you were not going to carry the spares?
When he originally contacted me, I told him that I did not have the neck as I have never needed a replacement Kessler Custom soprano neck in the 6 years of the line. I stock plenty of parts (alto and tenor necks, keys, screws, keyguards, etc...) but had only 1 time in the history of our store (22 years) ever needed a replacement neck for ANY brand of soprano sax.

I told him that I would order them in my next shipment but that would be delayed until closer to the end of the year (late November 2011).

·
38,888 Posts
ok, so OP was told that the part was going to be stocked despite the rarity of his problem.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,962 Posts
Last time I asked they said this problem has never happened before and therefore they don't stock extra necks. How much does this repair work usually cost?
very strange way to think about service to the customer from Kessler! To say the least unprofessional and probably against some regulations too since the vendor (when he is the importer) is , I believe, compelled to offer service and parts.
There is a big difference between "not in stock" and "not available".

It still seems like an easy repair tho', unless the straight neck is truly BENT.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
ok, so OP was told that the part was going to be stocked despite the rarity of his problem.
Assuming the OP is the same person I dealt with (hard to imagine they arent), then yes.... but details of all phone conversations are not always easy to remember as the one I am thinking of was about 1-2 months ago.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Assuming the OP is the same person I dealt with (hard to imagine they arent), then yes.... but details of all phone conversations are not always easy to remember as the one I am thinking of was about 1-2 months ago.
Yes same person, I apologize if I cast you in a bad light, that was not my intention. I have a new Yamaha to keep me busy in the meantime but the Kessler made a fine backup horn and I will wait for the November neck shipment now that I have a timeframe.

It still seems like an easy repair tho', unless the straight neck is truly BENT.
It doesn't look damaged from a casual glance but after the thud it will not produce a note. If those are the tolerances we're dealing with then I think I'm more comfortable just getting the new neck. It's not like we're talking a G1.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,962 Posts
It doesn't look damaged from a casual glance but after the thud it will not produce a note. If those are the tolerances we're dealing with then I think I'm more comfortable just getting the new neck. It's not like we're talking a G1.
Was the neck dropped or was it on the horn when bent?

It sounds like more than a dent. Have you had the horn to a repair shop? Estimates are usually free and might remove the speculation of what's wrong and what needs repair.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Yes same person, I apologize if I cast you in a bad light, that was not my intention. I have a new Yamaha to keep me busy in the meantime but the Kessler made a fine backup horn and I will wait for the November neck shipment now that I have a timeframe.

Not a problem, thats why I popped in for the clarification statement.

FYI, the replacement neck will run you a whopping $40 when it comes in. However, I still recommend just sending me your neck so that we can simply fix it for you.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts