Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW member, musician, technician &
4,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I need an alto sax mouthpiece and I want a cheap one. I don't need it to have especially great sound, because I think a good player would sound pretty good on almost any half decent mouthpiece. The small and subtle differences like bright dark etc. are all irelevant for me in this case I think. I am looking for a mouthpiece to test saxophones. I need it to have good and fast response with the least resistance, and play in tune (i.e. not create intonation problems for most saxophones, there are not many vintage ones here). A mouthpiece sounds ok, comfortable to play and doesn't create problems.

Is there such a mouthpiece that is very cheap? I'm looking at the cheapest ones like Yamaha, Fobes Debut, Brilhart, etc. Basically the most decent one under $50.

Thanks!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
5,160 Posts
The DeBut is probably the best of the ones you listed. Cheap mouthpieces are hard to classify. I've had some Yamaha 4C's that work great and others that are awful. The Brilhart Specials are OK.

You just have to go to your local retail/rental place and ask is you can buy/try some student line used mouthpieces. When an instrument is returned from rental some stores clean the mouthpiece and send it back out on rental for a second and third time. However, other stores will put in a new mouthpiece discarding the old. There may be a box of 50 student mouthpiece laying around in the store.

Good Luck

·
Registered
784 Posts
Try out a Rico Royal Graftonite if they are available where you are located.

They cost around $25 or less and work pretty well.

As has already been mentioned, try before you buy.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
5,183 Posts
I'd try a Morgan Protone for about $40. With the sterling Morgan reputation, if it didn't work for you, you could likely sell it and be out not much more than the shipping.

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
You didn't mention what kind of tip opening, but if you're an experienced player, you might want an opening larger than the Protone's and in that case I would suggest looking at the Graftonites. BTW the Protone is an excellent mpc regardless of price - IMO it's undervalued.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Hite Premier is around $25 and is quite consistent. A certain teacher here in St. Paul makes students switch to this one temporarily when he wants to work on their embouchure.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
5,183 Posts
Billt4mn said:
Hite Premier is around $25 and is quite consistent. A certain teacher here in St. Paul makes students switch to this one temporarily when he wants to work on their embouchure.
Great suggestion. These are much better than the price would indicate.

·
Distinguished SOTW member, musician, technician &
4,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks very much!

I'm not sure what opening these mouthpieces have, but one that was very comfortable for me was a Selmer S90 with a 1.70mm tip (but it is much more expensive than I want to spend, or else I'd buy it). By the way, used mouthpiece is not an option in this case.

What if I couldn't try before buying? I think the only cheap mouthpieces they have here are Yamahas, and maybe they don't even have those. I will probably order from USA.

Thanks again!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,768 Posts
The Fobes Debuts are good, reliable, decent student mouthpieces (and, for a clarinetist like yourself, they have Clark Fobes's name on them, which you'll recognize as a sure sign of quality). My school got a few of them, and I was assigned the task of playing all of them to make sure there was nothing wrong with them. They all played just fine. Very consistent. I don't have a broad range of experience with beginner mouthpieces, though, so I don't really know what else is out there.

·
Registered
1 Posts
You can never go wrong with Vandoren's. Granted, they're not the cheapest, but they are very consistent and great quality. I have a vandoren v5 a25... cost's about $80, depending on where you get it, and it has amazing sound and quality.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Forum Contributor
4,379 Posts
I know there are fans of the Rico Graphtonite sax mouthpieces on this forum, but the have been negative comments about them on the clarinet bboard. You might try a search there before you buy. www.woodwind.org

Go to bulletin board, then the The Clarinet BBoard.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts