Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,938 Posts
Determine a budget first, then let us know. Otherwise it's anybody's guess what you mean by "cheap".

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
I got a Deford 8b on clearance at wwbw.com for $699 reg $899. Solid silver body and headjoint. Great bang for the buck!!!(thanks Bruce Bailey for the recommendation). wwbw out of them but perhaps they are out there somewhere for a good price. My daughters yamaha 223 silver plate is a nice flute. They are about $800 new.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Columnist, Forum Con
3,801 Posts
Both my wife and I got a Gemeinhardt Model 3SB, each from eBay for under $300. For example check this one out. Neither needed too much work from our tech and they normally list for over $1100 as your can see here.

A lot of people I respect poo-poo these as overpriced, but I love the sound and playability. And more flute players than not like the way our instruments play. Just know anything you buy off of eBay will probably need to be seen by a tech.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
682 Posts
I bought an Armstrong 104 used from Steve Sklar for about $120, it was actually $85 plus a mouthpiece trade. It has absolutely served me well, decent tone, intonation, and it doesn't hurt that I practice a lot! (meaning...any "name brand" student flute and hours of practice and you'll be ready to go).

Actually, with your budget I would suggest a Yamaha student flute. I couldn't afford one when i was flute buying (they are a little more than $300 used i think) but two saxophone teachers I had who were gigging pros in NYC both used Yamaha student flutes professionally and had all the flute they needed.

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
Yamaha. Probably more people find these to their liking (sound/response/tuning/reliability/servicing) than perhaps all other models in this price range. Perhaps get a recent model, second hand one, and allow for complete adjustment to get it going its best.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,938 Posts
Thanks for popping in, Gordon. I was just thinking that this thread was begging for your kind attention.

Cheers!

(Listen to Gordon, this is his area of expertise.)

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,209 Posts
I've got an Armstrong model 104 for sale here on SOTW. Go to the Marketplace and look under Miscellaneous. I's a great little flute for a beginner.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,033 Posts
Gee, for $700 you can get a pretty decent new flute or a higher end used one. I sell reconditioned flutes (Yamaha, Gemeinhardt, Buffet, Emerson) for $150 to $200 which are really the best for a beginner. Flutes are so variable that you should begin with one that works and make your choice of a "keeper" after you have developed some chops.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I like Jupiter. They are definitely padded the best. The ones made in Taiwan seem to be better than the ones made in China. I would stay away from Gemeinhardt. They sound nice but are poorly made. Yamaha is OK. Easy to play but no sound. Armstrong used to be good. The newer ones have too much over and under cutting on the head joints for me. Artleys are basically the same. Old Artleys and Armstrongs are great though.

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
Hmm. I have some degree of disagreement with almost point in the last post.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,033 Posts
My feeling on the Gemeinhardts is just the opposite (I worked for them for 11 years). I find the scale to be old and the heads play stuffy BUT they seem to last forever. A good beginner school flute as they tend to play even when out of adjustment!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Columnist, Forum Con
3,801 Posts
bruce bailey said:
My feeling on the Gemeinhardts is just the opposite (I worked for them for 11 years). I find the scale to be old and the heads play stuffy BUT they seem to last forever. A good beginner school flute as they tend to play even when out of adjustment!
I don't know why we were able to fine two Gemeindhardt 3SBs for $300 in like new condition either. But they suit us fine. I think a lot of pros would have me spend more for a lesser instrument. That I don't understand. But then, I'm not really a flute player am I. :cool:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Gordon (NZ) said:
Hmm. I have some degree of disagreement with almost point in the last post.
I am just giving my opinion. What exactly do you disagree with? I know you like Yamaha. I think they are OK but I don't like the sound.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,544 Posts
bruce bailey said:
If you need another 3Sb, I have a really nice one for $300!!!
I had to wait a while to get $400 locally for one of these. I now play Yamaha plateau flutes that I am quite satisfied with...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts