Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,506 Posts
A lot of what you are after comes from the player and not the mouthpiece. One reason to view mouthpiece recommendations as being inconsequential is because every one of us play mouthpieces differently. What is dark for me may be bright for you. DARK is subjective anyway and what may sound dark to one person may not sound dark to another.

After all is said and done here on SOTW, it will be up to you go forth and search out what works for you on your saxophone playing the kind of music you want to play. Is it somewhat expensive to do that? Sure. We've all done it - I doubt that many here have settled on their chosen mouthpiece because someone else told them what to buy.

Don't get too hung up on recommendations unless the person making the recommendation is sitting next to you giving you lessons and can see and hear what YOU are doing that could be enhanced by some equipment change. You'd probably find better success in going with whatever mouthpiece comes with the horn, if one does. THEN, go through the reed-trials - a change in reed can give you a lot of tonal differences. AND, you may achieve your dark-goals with a softer reed, not a harder one. DAVE

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,506 Posts
Maybe I missed it, but is this A901 you are buying a new one or a used one. If new, it should come with a Yanagisawa 5 alto mouthpiece. Don't accept anything less and don't pay for it beyond the price of the saxophone. Those are included.

I agree with the others about "Sigmund451". I have one of his Sapphire soprano mouthpieces. It is a pleasure to play. DAVE

1 - 2 of 2 Posts