Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
43,506 Posts
It’s a good Taiwanese made sax, made by Tenon a company which makes saxophone from Taiwan and Vietnam.

I don’t know if you are planning to buy this new but the general advise is to buy secondhand rather than new. It always returns more bang for buck.

I see this on Amazon for $1500 which, spent on a secondhand saxophone, would buy a very good saxophone indeed. Once you spend your money on one of these new, you can expect, should he not like to play saxophone, to loose in excess of 50% of its cost, maybe even more.

If you buy a better known brand you may loose little or nothing at all.

With $1500 cash you could aspire to buy a secondhand Yanagisawa an itermediate Yamaha or even , with a little luck, a Seles made by Selmer.

43,506 Posts
I really think that he could do a LOT better than buying a Chateau especially if this will be a lasting hairloom to remember your father by and to maybe pass on to a later generation too.

I would go for a Yamaha 475-480 or Yanagisawa 901 or something else, by a good reputable brand. Despite Chateau NOT being a BAD brand, I would never invest, for my son, into a Chateau while seeking something of such symbolic as well as practical value .

See waht they sell here but also look on ebay, something not far that you can go and check yourself with your son. There HAS to be a better deal than this .

43,506 Posts
where are you in the world?

Also, in such a remote location you have one shop (probably a general music shop rather than a specialized one) and that one shop, which happens to have a good repair person able to maintain saxophones in future....and they only sell these brands?

Strange.

Also strange that your teacher warns you against ebay tout court , there are lots of reputable shops which sell on ebay.

Anyway, again it is your money. If it was mine I would act differently. To each his own. To me this is an important purchase loaded with symbolism and especially for this reason that I wouldn’t spend my money that way.

Thomann, by the way, is very good if you live in Germany or Europe (free returns) but something tells me that you don’t live in these parts of the world in any case that wouldn’t solve the problem of maintaining your saxophone.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.