Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son is getting a new alto for Xmas this year and, out of what's available locally, he was most impressed with the Chateau. Anyone have experience with this horn? How do they hold up over time? Thanks for any insight.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
39,550 Posts
It’s a good Taiwanese made sax, made by Tenon a company which makes saxophone from Taiwan and Vietnam.

I don’t know if you are planning to buy this new but the general advise is to buy secondhand rather than new. It always returns more bang for buck.

I see this on Amazon for $1500 which, spent on a secondhand saxophone, would buy a very good saxophone indeed. Once you spend your money on one of these new, you can expect, should he not like to play saxophone, to loose in excess of 50% of its cost, maybe even more.

If you buy a better known brand you may loose little or nothing at all.

With $1500 cash you could aspire to buy a secondhand Yanagisawa an itermediate Yamaha or even , with a little luck, a Seles made by Selmer.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He's been playing for two and a half years, and it seems almost certain he will continue as he has excelled at the instrument beyond all expectations. It's being purchased by his 90 year old grandfather, who wants him to have something special to remember him by (it's unlikely he will ever get rid of the instrument due to that fact alone).

The horn is new, sells for $1400 locally, and comes with two year coverage of maintenance and or damage. That is at least something to consider for a 13 year old who sometimes isn't as careful as I'd like him to be. He now has a early 90s Vito, which will be his school horn, and the Chateau would not leave the house except for lessons and performances.

·
39,550 Posts
I really think that he could do a LOT better than buying a Chateau especially if this will be a lasting hairloom to remember your father by and to maybe pass on to a later generation too.

I would go for a Yamaha 475-480 or Yanagisawa 901 or something else, by a good reputable brand. Despite Chateau NOT being a BAD brand, I would never invest, for my son, into a Chateau while seeking something of such symbolic as well as practical value .

See waht they sell here but also look on ebay, something not far that you can go and check yourself with your son. There HAS to be a better deal than this .

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Perhaps his grandfather does not want to buy used because it feels somehow inferior to him or he does not trust internet things like ebay? That would be typical for his generation where you would have gone to a real music store and buy the best instrument from their sortiment you could afford without all the other options in mind offered today. It's true that a Chateau does not have that brand magic ("My grandfather gave me a CHATEAU alto!) - but it should be a super solid instrument and a good option if buying in a music store is prefered.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We live in an area with few options for used instruments. We could wait years for one of those Japanese horns to come up for sale. eBay is not a consideration either, as we're unable to have the horn inspected, nor will we have the benefit of a maintenance plan. We've been explicitly cautioned from buying on eBay from his sax teacher anyway.

These are our choices:

Chateau 80GL
Cannonball (used, they're far out of price range new, and he wasn't impressed with it anyway)
Hollywood Winds (haven't tried it yet, but can find almost no info on this brand)
P. Mauriat 67R (used, thought he would love how this played by reputation, but it was pretty awful)

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
The Chateau CAS-80GL is from their Vietnam-built line and the same as the VCH-800 (V for Vietnam). I think that these are the same as Thomann Handmade, which cost al lot less (1000 Dollar) and can be had with all kind of finishes:
https://www.thomann.de/de/thomann_mk_ii_handmade_alto_sax.htm

I did not play one for myself but heared good things about them

If the thomann return policy is the same as in Germany, it could be easily returned.
Perhaps something to consider....

·
39,550 Posts
where are you in the world?

Also, in such a remote location you have one shop (probably a general music shop rather than a specialized one) and that one shop, which happens to have a good repair person able to maintain saxophones in future....and they only sell these brands?

Strange.

Also strange that your teacher warns you against ebay tout court , there are lots of reputable shops which sell on ebay.

Anyway, again it is your money. If it was mine I would act differently. To each his own. To me this is an important purchase loaded with symbolism and especially for this reason that I wouldn’t spend my money that way.

Thomann, by the way, is very good if you live in Germany or Europe (free returns) but something tells me that you don’t live in these parts of the world in any case that wouldn’t solve the problem of maintaining your saxophone.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
where are you in the world?

Also, in such a remote location you have one shop (probably a general music shop rather than a specialized one) and that one shop, whic happens to have a good repair person able to maintain saxophones in future....and they only sell these brands?

Strange.
Midwest, USA. I never said remote. We are, however, not a huge metropolis, and limited to a couple of instrument stores. You must understand that if you don't buy an instrument from a particular shop, they either won't service your instrument or you will go to the back of the line. It could be weeks, sometimes months, before they get to you.

Of course they sell other brands, but they are Selmer (Paris) and Yanis that start at $5k. You can't seriously think that's a viable option.

Also strange that your teacher warns you against ebay tout court , there are lots of reputable shops which sell on ebay.
I'm sure there are all kinds of good horns to be had on eBay, but that's for a pro to take his or her chances with. Not a 13 year old.

·
Registered
709 Posts
tim from sax alley had the following to say about their 50 model which sells for around 1250

ntonation is excellent. Response is very good. Tone is on the bright side, but that works well for younger players who don't move a lot of air yet.

The makers of the Chateau brand are making saxophones for a lot of the major names in Taiwan and they decided to put out their own brand. This student model plays very well and is a VERY low cost for a BRAND NEW student alto.

·
Registered
924 Posts
I have owned a Chateau alto for a couple of years. It is the Custom model, but I also have a Chateau soprano that is from the same line as the alto you are looking at (Vietnam-built 80-series). These are excellently constructed instruments. The soprano, at least, is the same model as Kessler and Sons sell as their "Handmade" soprano. I suspect that the same is true for the alto line. You might go online to Kessler's and see what their Handmade pricing is looking like.

As has been suggested, you can get good bargains buying used, IF you know what you are doing and know what to look for. You can also be badly burned. I understand why someone would prefer new, and will not criticize that decision.

The two-year service and damage policy makes me suspect that you may have the same Chateau dealer as I have, which is Wichita Band Instruments. If so, they are excellent and trustworthy, and offer equivalent models for less than Kessler's.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have owned a Chateau alto for a couple of years. It is the Custom model, but I also have a Chateau soprano that is from the same line as the alto you are looking at (Vietnam-built 80-series). These are excellently constructed instruments. The soprano, at least, is the same model as Kessler and Sons sell as their "Handmade" soprano. I suspect that the same is true for the alto line. You might go online to Kessler's and see what their Handmade pricing is looking like.

As has been suggested, you can get good bargains buying used, IF you know what you are doing and know what to look for. You can also be badly burned. I understand why someone would prefer new, and will not criticize that decision.

The two-year service and damage policy makes me suspect that you may have the same Chateau dealer as I have, which is Wichita Band Instruments. If so, they are excellent and trustworthy, and offer equivalent models for less than Kessler's.
Yes, we are in Wichita, and it's WBI. That is great to hear you've been impressed with their build quality, and that WBI are trustworthy. I believed they had a good rep, but always good to get a confirmation. Thanks for your opinion on the Chateau.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

So, this is essentially the same horn as the 80GL?

https://www.kesslerandsons.com/product/kessler-custom-handmade-series-alto-sax/

·
Registered
924 Posts

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I think that the kessler handmade and the chateau 80 and the thomann handmade are basically the same horn made by tenon in Vietnam, though the case, mpc etc may differ. But I do not know for shure.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts