Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2008/Distinguished SOTW Member
3,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gonna be there next Wed and Thurs night. Anything good happening? If I remember, the business district goes to sleep around 6PM. ANd I know the double door jam is on Tuesdays. Any other music left around there? It's been four or five years since I've been there.

Thank you.

·
3,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Wow, I gues this city is as dead as has been rumored... Such a shame. Last time I was there I got to meet some really great players.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,885 Posts
a couple of members are from around there so I should expect that someone will react. When I was there a few years ago I remember only one place where there was some Jazz but I can't remember the name
maybe here you can find something

http://www.charlottejazz.org/

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,312 Posts
Yep, sleepy time down south. Years ago my jump blues band would play the Double Door when we were working through the Carolinas. Pretty hoppin' joint. Other than that there wasn't much going on. Charlotte is a big banking center and the home town of Billy Graham. That should give you an idea.

·
38,885 Posts
well, when I was there there were some very nice girls around but a little too young for me.......:) crowds of the local college were filling most of the " hot spots" but yes , all in all a rather small and sleepy place, in spite of a large coffee convention in town which was what brought me there!

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Wow, I gues this city is as dead as has been rumored... Such a shame. Last time I was there I got to meet some really great players.
Check out "Blue" restaurant near Nations Bank in Uptown Charlotte. There's a jazz band on weekends. I had dinner there in '09. (The food is over-priced). Not far is Church Street. There are several clubs there that have live music. Further south on Church Street, it turns into South Blvd. There's a restaurant where I heard an excellent guitarist named Tom Bilotto playing a solo jazz act a few years ago. The restaurant is called "Pewter Rose". The music is better than the food.

You can also check out the club in Nations Bank (Bank of America) building too. There MAY still be a band there.

If You are adventurous (and if you don't mind packing some heat) and have a friend who plays for the Panthers, ride north on Trade Street. It turns into Beatty's Ford Road. There's a club called "The Exchequer." It's a scary neighborhood, but it is rumored that some of the best players in town hang out there.

Yes, the Double Door is a good place to check out, but it is hit-and-miss. The head of the music department of the local community college sets up on off-nights with local players and students. Eric Clapton showed up there one night.

You can also try the Adams Mark Hotel on South Davidson. A pianist from UNC named Gary Marcus played there with the oh-so-hot Beth Chorneau. They may not be there anymore. It has been awhile since I've been there.

You have to keep a few things in mind: Charlotte is a banking town. Things ain't cheap.

Wear pinstripes and you're golden.

·
38,885 Posts
well, the breakfast buffet at the Holiday Inn Uptown where we were staying was one of the best and most inexpensive that I have ever had in the USA. The food was great under the supervision of a Moroccan chef.

The only not so nice experience were two " soul food" places where the food and the service were absolutely lousy.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
a couple of members are from around there so I should expect that someone will react. When I was there a few years ago I remember only one place where there was some Jazz but I can't remember the name
maybe here you can find something

http://www.charlottejazz.org/
That might have been "The Half Moon" or "The Blue Moon". (The moon motif is popular in Charlotte). That closed a few years ago.

Also, check out the goings-on on North Davidson Street (aka NoDa). It's the artsy-fartsy section of Charlotte.

I worked as a photographer In Charlotte for about ten years. Things change quite quickly there.

Actually, there's a lot of music ion Charlotte, but a lot of the musicians play private affairs.

·
3,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yep, sleepy time down south. Years ago my jump blues band would play the Double Door when we were working through the Carolinas. Pretty hoppin' joint. Other than that there wasn't much going on. Charlotte is a big banking center and the home town of Billy Graham. That should give you an idea.
Yup, I'm actually headed there on banking biz. Last time I was there (about 5 years ago) I got to play with Ashlin Parker (Now teaching at UNO and playing with Jason and Delfaeyo, et al... and some other really smokin players. Seemed like they were trying to turn it into a jazz friendly town with that place downtown (forgot the name of it - it was a nice club, had the upstairs with lots of R&B/Jazz) the Excelsior, and another one on the outskirts. Not so much on the straight ahead tip but rather funky. Now it seems everyone is gone.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
well, the breakfast buffet at the Holiday Inn Uptown where we were staying was one of the best and most inexpensive that I have ever had in the USA. The food was great under the supervision of a Moroccan chef.

The only not so nice experience were two " soul food" places where the food and the service were absolutely lousy.
THAT WAS OVER TEN YEARS AGO! The "Chicken Shack" on Worthington (Maybe Camden) is a GREAT soul food joint.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Yup, I'm actually headed there on banking biz. Last time I was there (about 5 years ago) I got to play with Ashlin Parker (Now teaching at UNO and playing with Jason and Delfaeyo, et al... and some other really smokin players. Seemed like they were trying to turn it into a jazz friendly town with that place downtown (forgot the name of it - it was a nice club, had the upstairs with lots of R&B/Jazz) the Excelsior, and another one on the outskirts. Not so much on the straight ahead tip but rather funky. Now it seems everyone is gone.
They're not gone. They're just difficult to find. Most of the music I've heard in Charlotte was played at private functions. I've owned property and lived in Charlotte for over twenty years! The Excelsior (not the Exchequer as previously-mentioned) is in a rough neighborhood.

Never heard that Branford was in town. I know that he lived in or near Durham, not Charlotte.

·
38,885 Posts
THAT WAS OVER TEN YEARS AGO! The "Chicken Shack" on Worthington (Maybe Camden) is a GREAT soul food joint.
I don't think it was so long ago!

·
3,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If You are adventurous (and if you don't mind packing some heat) and have a friend who plays for the Panthers, ride north on Trade Street. It turns into Beatty's Ford Road. There's a club called "The Exchequer." It's a scary neighborhood, but it is rumored that some of the best players in town hang out there.
i think it's called the Excelsior and I actually played a gig there. Got a ride from the bass player. Funny, got off work at the Bank and hoped in his car and headed straight up there. Best wings I ever had and it was a fine night. I have no problems with the neighborhoods, I don't look for trouble and it usually won't find me (in the states anyway).

·
3,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
They're not gone. They're just difficult to find. Most of the music I've heard in Charlotte was played at private functions. I've owned property and lived in Charlotte for over twenty years! The Excelsior (not the Exchequer as previously-mentioned) is in a rough neighborhood.

Never heard that Branford was in town. I know that he lived in or near Durham, not Charlotte.
Ashlin moved to New Orleans

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
The good news is that Ashlin does come home to Charlotte from time to time -- to play, to teach, to promote jazz. ... He has helped start the non-profit organization "Jazz Arts Initiative" (www.thejazzarts.org) that's committed to developing a greater presence of jazz in Charlotte.
Why doesn't it advertise itself? Is it a westside thang? You know, like ya gotta be from the 'hood to know about it?

I saw Ashlin play at a fundraiser about five or six years ago. He has a good set of chops.

·
3,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ashlin is great and a great guy. We got to jam and hang out a little bit when I was here many years ago. He was very kind and complimentary. He is the kind of people that jazz needs to survive. He's a giver.

http://ashlinparker.com/

1 - 19 of 19 Posts