Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a new thread. The old one got all sidetracked because I couldn't get a soundclip up.

Does anyone know what set-up Charlie Rouse is using on the recording, It's Monk's Time?".

It was recorded in 1964 in NYC, around January, and is now issued on the Columbia label.

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,491 Posts
Yes CR does not get enough recognition having to bask in the shadow of the great Monk.

B

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes CR does not get enough recognition having to bask in the shadow of the great Monk.

B
The sound he gets on Monk's Time recording is something special.

Man, he sure did some great playing behind Monk, right?

And he did some great recordings on his own as well. His Unsung Hero is a classic as far as I'm concerned.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,862 Posts

B
Does this actually mean something?

·
6,862 Posts

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
Almost certainly a Mark VI with some kind of metal Otto Link.
Rouse was still playing his Selmer BA up until at least 1966. I'm not exactly sure when he switched to a Mark VI.
Therefore in 1964 he was playing his BA and an Otto Link Tonemaster. Of course he sounded best (IMO) when he was playing his Conn 30m with Fats Navarro in the early 50's!!

·
6,862 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Think how hard it would be to not be distracted by Monk's timing.

Anyway, that's a Link, but not a Selmer. Can't tell what it is.

Unless my eyes deceive me, Monk has the earflaps down on his, uh, chapeau.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
4,507 Posts
Anyway, that's a Link, but not a Selmer. Can't tell what it is.
wrong. That's a mid of the run Balanced Action (after #28xxx serial, the shape of the aux F to G# closing arm or bridge) and it has an aftermarket link between the F key and the aux F keycup. And the MPC's a link tone master NY

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah, well, but, he still has his earflaps down.

Seriously, though, thanks for the info. I knew an expert here would know.

·
4,507 Posts
Its visible on many videos and pictures... really visible because it was made out a heavy rod, stood out like hell visually speaking.
regarding the expert part... [rolleyes] heheh :tsk:
I love Rouse too. He's one of my main inspirations (if not the predominant one) and I just cannot think of anyone doing a better work with Monk's quartet than Charlie. I don't know if it makes sense to you, but I still hear plenty of "websteriana" on Rouse, without resigning his own ideas being too smitted by his influential players.

The only time in wich I've seen Rouse play another horn as his old companion the BA was in a video with the Mal Waldron Quintet (live at the village vanguard) when he was playing a VI and a NY Tone Master with a Selmer 404 ligature instead of the original fat knob link TM OEM lig. He sounded unique and everything but not as "wild" as on the BA.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I still hear plenty of "websteriana" on Rouse

I can definitely hear Ben Webster in there, but who would be an influence for that higher end of his? I can almost place it, but not quite.

·
4,507 Posts
Liam I think he's playing a zimberoff with a link ligature in those pictures.

johnnieboy, don't know 'bout the high end... what do you think?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts