1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a late Charlie Parker recording with a good sound quality
prefered in a Trio.

Any suggestions ?

·
Registered
600 Posts
Absolutely best,clearest recording of Bird I've heard is " One Night In Washington, Charlie Parker with The Orchestra",1982 on Electra ( XE1-60019 ).Admittedly,it's not with a trio but the group he plays in front of are no slouches and he comes through clear as a bell. Frankly,this record gives me chills. Most other records leave me straining to distinguish Bird's sound. This one demonstrates his off the cuff genius at improvisation. By the way, this recording has him playing on the Grafton plastic saxophone and he sounds amazing on it. A tribute both to him and this revolutionary horn. A Bird fans 'must-have '.

·
Banned
2,814 Posts
Absolutely best,clearest recording of Bird I've heard is " One Night In Washington, Charlie Parker with The Orchestra",1982 on Electra ( XE1-60019 ).Admittedly,it's not with a trio but the group he plays in front of are no slouches and he comes through clear as a bell. Frankly,this record gives me chills. Most other records leave me straining to distinguish Bird's sound. This one demonstrates his off the cuff genius at improvisation. By the way, this recording has him playing on the Grafton plastic saxophone and he sounds amazing on it. A tribute both to him and this revolutionary horn. A Bird fans 'must-have '.
Absolutely agree. One of the best for sure. Actually, I have to look into getting this on cd. I originally bought it years ago on LP (dating myself, aren't I?!). Thanks for the reminder!

John

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Sorry, can't get so picky with sound quality when stuff was recorded 60 years ago.

Any of the following sound good to me...

Charlie Parker with Strings

Savoy Master Takes

Charlie Parker Compact Jazz

Bird and Diz at Carnegie Hall

The Dial recordings are essential as well, really.

I'm not as familiar with all of his many boots, I do have a few mixed ones I converted from an old cassette. When Bird was on, he always sounded good to me even through the skeevy quality of some of the old recordings. Like Massey Hall. Not the best recording, but a very important album.

Shawn

·
Registered
923 Posts
Perhaps this goes way too far outside the trio requirement, and it sure as heck isn't original, but the overdubbed soundtrack for the movie Bird is probably one of the most listenable productions of CP out there. I remember getting it on cassette shortly after the movie came out - pretty much wore the tape out!

·
Registered
16 Posts
With regards to the sound quality of the recording (and the quality of his tone and playing), I think the tracks from the July 30th, 1953 session at Fulton Recording Studios stand out - Confirmation, Chi-Chi, Now"s the time (this is the second studio version) and I Remember You.

This is also IMO an example of the mature Parker at his best; great ideas, great tone(!) and great technique.

Basker

·
Distinguished SOTW Tech/Forum Contributor 2007
983 Posts
naxos issued some bird recordings a while ago that were cleaned up really really well. i am not sure if they were available in this country due to copyright stuff but they were availble in france (i bought them on a trip in paris) and you can probably find them on amazon france.

also if you can find old 78's or early lp pressing, from the 50's (i want to say verve trumpet pressings) they sound a lot better than the cd's... i have a 78 of just friends from bird with strings that sounds amazing...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts