Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist and Saxophonistic Art
6,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_w6kJ9jyl7Y

You can hear Bird throw in Prez " Shoe Shine Boy"... One of those bridges is right off Lester's "Shoe Shine Boy". Many time I find- If your teaching jazz and saxophone and have no idea about these aspects of Bird to Prez then there is a huge gap. Work needs to be done, time in the shed on Prez and Early Bird needs to be dealt with. ( Amoung other things/ which IS a good thing!:) )

As a teacher, there is NO excuse for not being able connect history to improvisation via masters. If you play/teach this stuff HAS to be 2ed nature and solid. Its just what HAS been done and...used to be called ROOTS.

This TRACK is a lesson in that my friends...BIRD AND PREZ IN THE HOUSE!!!:mrgreen:

Charlie Parker Early Recordings 1943 - I Found A New Baby
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_w6kJ9jyl7Y

prez solo here...SHOE SHINE BOY:)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=si8lHNJ3JVQ

·
6,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ooops- THE 5 cd BOX SET...I WAS GOING TO MENTION- I got it on a MP3 burn a friend did.

The track is from this set- for those into it ;

"Charlie Parker: A Studio Chronicle"
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
5 cd's for under $25
A). Disc A covers the years 1940-1941 yet on the liner notes tracks 11-14 (Jay McShann & His Orchestra) are listed as NYC July 2, 1942.

B) On Disc A tracks 15-18 are listed as "Kansas City Band" (Charlie Parker-AS, Efferge Ware-Guitar, and Little Phil Phillips-Drums) Kansas City Sept 1941

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
These early recordings are my all time favourite Bird! Here is 'cherokee' from the same session as 'I found a new baby'.

Another favourite of mine is 'Shoe Shine Swing' with Bird on tenor playing the first 8 bars of Pres' 'Shoe Shine Boy' solo in his improvisation.

·
6,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here's the AMAZON LINK.......

http://www.amazon.com/Charlie-Parke...J5SR/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1298574134&sr=1-1

LiAm THANKS!!!! BIRD LIVES.......24-7 in my mind.

A further thought etc.. in 1948, when Norman Granz began recording him in different contexts with a view toward taking his music to a wider audience. He died in 1955 at the age of 35.

These Studio Chronicle 1940-1948 is a five-disc box set from the British label JSP detailing THE essential studio recordings of Charlie Parker. Included here are not only the innovative bebop sides that made Parker a living legend, but also the early Kansas City swing recordings he appeared on while playing with the Jay McShann Orchestra.
To me and thousands of other Bird fans..This set of 5 CD's shows that CHARLIE PARKER'S MUSIC is timeless and has the quality of a magical master player.This is irresistible music, my greatest & best addiction ever.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Thanks Tim,

Bird is indeed timeless.
What I find fascinating , is the fact that Bird may have been the most recorded jazz musician live. And this at a time when the
recording equipments were barely comparable to what we have today. Of course the audio quality leaves much to be desired, but once
we get past this we are rewarded with incredible music.

·
Forum Contributor 2008-2016
902 Posts
These early recordings are my all time favourite Bird! Here is 'cherokee' from the same session as 'I found a new baby'.
I happened to work with my prof on a transcription of this great solo, made by a good local saxist. I'd be glad to forward it (5 p) to any interested. I have however to scan it before.

Jacques

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
12,800 Posts
It's interesting to read this in light of the recording:

Because of the 2-year Musicians' Union recording ban on all commercial recordings from 1942 to 1944 (part of a struggle to get royalties from record sales for a union fund for out-of-work musicians), much of bebop's early development was not captured for posterity. As a result, the new musical concepts only gained limited radio exposure. Bebop musicians had a difficult time gaining widespread recognition. It was not until 1945, when the recording ban was lifted, that Parker's collaborations with Dizzy Gillespie, Max Roach, Bud Powell and others had a substantial effect on the jazz world. One of their first (and greatest) small-group performances together was rediscovered and issued in 2005: a concert in New York's Town Hall on June 22, 1945. Bebop began to grab hold and gain wider appeal among musicians and fans alike.

·
6,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
These recordings from this session are my favorite recordings of Bird. He is so laid back and his lines are killin'! I have the Cherokee transcription which is at Saxsolos.com and is great.
Ain't it great Steve...The Cherokee thing is killin'. Imagine what it must of been like to hear him live!!!

I think he's 23 here, yes. Lines are so clear- and melodic as a bell.

·
6,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
538 Posts
I have the recording of Bird with Jay Mcshann. The liners notes talk about when Ben Webster came in to Clark Munroes and was listening to Charlie play on Cherokee. Ben said
to Clark Munroe, "is that cat playing what I think he's playing?" I don't have the notes in front of me but Clark Munroe said to Webster to come back the next night and he will feature
Bird on the bandstand. Anyway he sounds amazing and fresh and it is also my favorite Charlie Parker period. I would love to get that box set of cds of Early Bird.

·
6,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
BIRD is roots in American jazz. CULTURE WITH A CAPITOL " C".

You can't enter into a study of a culture that does have roots then show them complete disregard. Jazz is not some shopping center item that comes and goes.

If you play jazz and don't know tunes like "The End of a Love Affair" or " The Song Is You" then work needs to be done. That is WHY these Bird records are so important to not only the music but CULTURE.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts