Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to David Valdez who posted this link in his blog and I think it's definitely worth posting here as well.

http://www.charliemarianotribute.de/home.html

A site dedicated to one of the greatest and most unique alto players ever. The only problem is that it gave me a bunch of new cd's I have to track down and import.!

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Kritavi said:
One of the real giants of the alto. I am near obsessed with his two classical influenced recordings. "Adagio" and "Not Quite a Ballad". These can be ordered cheaply on line and are very much worth checking out.
Adagio is one of the most beautiful things ever. Some of those solos on that album are so perfect that you can't forget them and just keep wanting to put it on repeat. Charlie is a truly unique voice in this world and an absolutely captivating soloist.

For anyone who doesn't know Charlie's playing at all, do check him out. You won't be sorry. Listen to everything from him playing standards on Deep In A Dream, the Adagio album, Silver-Blue, his albums with The Karnataka College of Percussion and other Indian influenced things, stuff with Toshiko Akiyoshi, and of course on Mingus' Black Saint and The Sinner Lady. Many of his older albums are out of print and difficult to get, (even some of the newer Euro releases are hard to find in the US,) but search for them.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hepcat, thank you for your work on the site.

I hope to write a few more reviews of Charlie and others who are hard to find out about on this side of the pond in the future.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This is great news. I'm glad Charlie had the strength to make it through. All the best to him on a continued recovery.

Hopefully there will be many more evenings to come.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts