Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to David Valdez who posted this link in his blog and I think it's definitely worth posting here as well.

http://www.charliemarianotribute.de/home.html

A site dedicated to one of the greatest and most unique alto players ever. The only problem is that it gave me a bunch of new cd's I have to track down and import.!

·
Registered
6,526 Posts
One of the real giants of the alto. I am near obsessed with his two classical influenced recordings. "Adagio" and "Not Quite a Ballad". These can be ordered cheaply on line and are very much worth checking out.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Kritavi said:
One of the real giants of the alto. I am near obsessed with his two classical influenced recordings. "Adagio" and "Not Quite a Ballad". These can be ordered cheaply on line and are very much worth checking out.
Adagio is one of the most beautiful things ever. Some of those solos on that album are so perfect that you can't forget them and just keep wanting to put it on repeat. Charlie is a truly unique voice in this world and an absolutely captivating soloist.

For anyone who doesn't know Charlie's playing at all, do check him out. You won't be sorry. Listen to everything from him playing standards on Deep In A Dream, the Adagio album, Silver-Blue, his albums with The Karnataka College of Percussion and other Indian influenced things, stuff with Toshiko Akiyoshi, and of course on Mingus' Black Saint and The Sinner Lady. Many of his older albums are out of print and difficult to get, (even some of the newer Euro releases are hard to find in the US,) but search for them.

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist and Saxophonistic Art
6,260 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,937 Posts
I pulled out an old LP that I ahd bought at a used record store of him playing flute and bass flute on his redition of Summer of 42. I loved it, I didn't know he was such a good flute player. I loved his playing on Maynard Ferguson's "Screamin Blues." He has been an early influence in my playing.

·
Registered
14 Posts
odsum25 said:
Thanks to David Valdez who posted this link in his blog and I think it's definitely worth posting here as well.

http://www.charliemarianotribute.de/home.html

A site dedicated to one of the greatest and most unique alto players ever. The only problem is that it gave me a bunch of new cd's I have to track down and import.!
Hi odsum25, thanks a lot for posting the link even before I'd a chance to announce my site at this forum. :)

And thanks for the link to Owen Summer's great review which - to my knowledge - is the first review from the USA. I'll add a link to Charlie Mariano's discography.

·
Registered
14 Posts
HAPPY BIRTHDAY Charlie Mariano

HAPPY BIRTHDAY Charlie Mariano!

Today Charlie Mariano celebrates his 84th birthday.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Last night I listened to a wonderful concert at the Theaterhaus in Stuttgart. Charlie Mariano, Philip Catherine, and Jasper van't Hof re-united after circa 40 years to play a 70 minutes set plus encore. It's been Charlie Mariano's first performance after his chemo therapies. He is still weak, so he had to take a short nap backstage after the rehearsal, and he played the whole set sitting on a chair. But his sound is strong and beautiful as ever. Jasper, Charlie, and Philip apparently enjoyed playing a bunch of original compositions they all are familiar with. The audience not only enjoyed the music - most listeners were familiar with, too - but also had the pleasure to watch three musicians who obviously enjoyed playing together again a lot.
After the set Charlie met some friends at the restaurant for a little snack and a drink. Unfortunately I didn't meet Philip Catherine (which I would have loved...) but I met guitarist/composer Thorsten Klentze - who performed and recorded with Charlie, and I had a nice conversation with Jasper van't Hof. He remarked that Charlie's sound - at some moments - strongly reminded him of that fire and intensity captured on Charles Mingus' "Black Saint And The Sinner Lady."
I'll cross my fingers! Let's hope that Charlie Mariano is able to continue to perform, and - hopefully - some more of his unique playing will be captured for further listening.

Here are some pictures taken after the encore and after the concert: Gallery

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This is great news. I'm glad Charlie had the strength to make it through. All the best to him on a continued recovery.

Hopefully there will be many more evenings to come.

·
Registered
14 Posts
New recording

Charlie Mariano will be in the studio again by the end of July. He's going to record with pianist Jasper van't Hof and Philip Catherine after their great reunion concert in May (see post #15). The recording session will take place in Cologne, and the CD will be released by Enja.

Charlie Mariano is still suffering from chemo therapy and medication. Hence he is not in the condition to shoulder the strain of traveling. That's really sad, as he got an invitation just recently to perform with an Italian trio in Tuscany.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts