Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist and Saxophonistic Art
6,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated failures. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent.

Calvin Coolidge

And another I just learned of- that Banacos shared to anothers tudent. This is very cool- and something I really am a fan of!

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.” Theodore Roosevelt

~ In speaking to other musicians who were Charlie Banacos students, I ran across a Calvin Coolidge quote that Charlie once wrote on a piece of paper for me when I got depressed about a deal with a publisher going bad. A few years later that same book- was sold to Hal Leonard. And is called HOT ROCK SAX by yours truly.

I'd like to share this with you people. And also let you know that Charlie Banacos left a very strong impression on me. Not only as a teacher, but I heard him play with Miles Donahue and Jerry Bergonzi at the famous Arlington St Church concert in 1972! His playing was unreal, and inspired me for a lifetime of study with him at a later point. ( in my case, when I got a firm address, and started a mail lessons situation with him. 20 plus years, others as Gary Dial or Mike Stern might of been there longer. Dial for sure. )

Charlie used say- music for musics sake. He spoke of funny things like Charlie Mariano opening up on a Nadaswaram < which is an Indian double reed instrument that tunes an augmented 4th. I own Mariano's spare > Mariano's in a Boston jazz club.

Banacos said, when Charlie started the club was pretty filled, and Banacos closed his eyes because the music was really intense and cool. When he opened his eyes a good hunk of the club split due to the " outness" of the Nadaswaram- and an unknown sound. Charlie Banacos was always laughing about that.It never affected Mariano - he just went straight ahead. Banacos loved it too.

The ability Banacos had to teach was very unique.No cult stuff, just teaching the right stuff. Like showing me piano stuff of French music of Debussy, that related to Chick Corea's stuff with Return To Forever with Joe Farrell. Banacos loved Joe Farrell too...he told me storys of Joe and Jaki Byard in the back room of Lenny s On The Turnpike trading 4's on breaks with Jaki showing Farrell cool intervalic stuff.

I think about this guy so much, and the reflection of those years hearing Bergonzi for the 1st time but also Miles Donahue. THOSE GUYS- NEVER STOPPED!!

You gotta go for it...and know it's for the music. Be it teaching or playing. This planet was a great place due to Charlie Banacos, he was something else.

Any inspiring ideas? Banacos storys?

1 - 1 of 1 Posts