Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody having delivery trouble from Charlie A's lately? Normally they are very good about prompt shipping but I placed an order in early Feb that I still have not seen.
Just wondering if this is an oddity......

I did try contacting them several times via email and 2 of the 4 emails were replied to with "Its going out this week" - the most recent of which was 2 weeks ago.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2008
1,555 Posts
It is no oddity, I experienced about the same.
First of all, email communication with them is literally zero. The only thing you get is a credit card transaction confirmation (likely not from them). Then when I inquired about my extra delayed shipping (about 2 months to receive a Runyon SR mouthpiece) I got no answer. I was several times tempted to call my credit card issuing bank and dispute the transaction. Fortunately patience prevailed and I eventually got the mouthpiece.

I believe they are terrible. I will get back to them only if they are my last resort (as they were for that Runyon SR).

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
I also get no e-mail response. I ordered a runyon with spoiler but the spoiler was missing. My order was I think in Oktober and absolutly no answer to all tried contacts via e-mail since then.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Charlie himself provided excellent service, since his passing, I can't say....

One word on ordering Runyon mouthpieces from CharlieA's - they are at the mercy of Runyon products in supplying those mouthpieces. Oftentimes Runyon will be out of stock of certain facings or models. Runyon usually manufacture in batches , so... if you're waiting on a bionix, and they are making Model 22's and customs - you may be in for a bit of a wait....

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2008
1,555 Posts
JMac said:
One word on ordering Runyon mouthpieces from CharlieA's - they are at the mercy of Runyon products in supplying those mouthpieces.
That would be understandable but they shouldn't list the item as "in stock" in that case and providing instead an estimate of the shipping time (such as Amazon, for exmple). Mine was "in stock" and took 9 weeks to make it to me.

As a consequence, when I ordered yesterday a Runyon Jaguar I went with no hesitation to Music123. Which, by the way, does not charge 20$ restocking fee for returns.

·
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was several times tempted to call my credit card issuing bank and dispute the transaction. Fortunately patience prevailed and I eventually got the mouthpiece.
Thats where I am at right now. I will give it till the end of the week - if no new information is forthcoming then I will have to contact my credit card company. I really want to support the smaller shops, but it looks like everything is heading towards the mega-store. My local shop cant even come close to the pricing I can get online - be it Charlie A or WWBW/Music123 - Musicians Friend etc.
Funny thing is I ordered a few pieces at the same time from different vendors, and the Runyon was the one I was most excited about trying.
Ahhh, well - venting over. Please return to your normally scheduled programming......

·
Registered
729 Posts
I had similar experience (I mentioned about this in another thread): some of the goods I ordered and paid for never arrived,no reply to my e-mails,this was well over 6 months ago.Some years ago,when late Charlie A was still with us and run the shop,my experience was totally different,absolutely great customer service which seems not to be the case these days.

·
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Still nothing. No response.

BUYER BEWARE!!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
2,115 Posts
I had the same experience with a mouthpiece. Ordered early December, never came, even months later. No e-mail response, item listed as "in stock", etc. same old story. Fortunately my credit card company took care of the transaction. I won't ever buy from them and recommend avoiding them if possible.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Now, why didn't I read this post earlier..

My wife ordered a Quantum 10 alto for my birthday (The Big 4-0) end june.

Still waiting. Send 3 mail, waited a week between them, no response.
Still I will try to call her this week. 6 hour time difference with a full agenda every evening doesn't help either.

Doubts, doubts......
Do they (or does she) deliver in the end?
Should I be patient?
Or should I cancel my (my wifes) creditcard payment?

otoh - I want that Q. Love my tenor 12 hope to fall in love with the alto version.

·
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi

I can share with you my experience - even after successful communications with Linda - I would get a promise of shipment and no mouthpiece. I would get a song and dance about a computer crash then nothing. This happened 3 times that I can recall. I even re-sent confirmation of my order to her at least 3 times. Honestly, if I were you I would contact my CC company and get my money back. I really dont think Charlie A's is a reputable place to deal with. Its a real shame because I dealt with Charlie while he was still here and customer service was always his highest priority.
Good luck

Mark

·
Registered
309 Posts
I called them, end they/she told me it was shipped aug.7.

I'm glad to say, my mouthpiece came in today...
Played it for a few minutes and enjoy the openess and sound of this little mpc.

So I think the conclusion must be...
Don't contact them through email, they will not answer (Computer problems?)
They are however to be trusted, but you should have patience..

·
Registered
183 Posts
gigdust (charlie A)

rispoli said:
It is no oddity, I experienced about the same.
First of all, email communication with them is literally zero. The only thing you get is a credit card transaction confirmation (likely not from them). Then when I inquired about my extra delayed shipping (about 2 months to receive a Runyon SR mouthpiece) I got no answer. I was several times tempted to call my credit card issuing bank and dispute the transaction. Fortunately patience prevailed and I eventually got the mouthpiece.

I believe they are terrible. I will get back to them only if they are my last resort (as they were for that Runyon SR).
I wish I had checked their feedback on this forum before going ahead and placing an order with them for a Runyon SR alto mpc. I also got a credit card confirmation and nothing else. I've already e-mailed them three times without getting any reply. I tried phoning them several times and getting an answering machine each time. Left messages etc..., but still no reaction whatsoever.

Based on the previous posts in this thread it seems I should be patient and hope for the best, but my tolerance for such non-communication is pretty low...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2007
1,247 Posts
Same experience here in Denmark. Had some long waits during Spring 2006 and replies "Going out today". In the end I did, however, receive my moutpieces (separate orders), SR and Custom for tenor. Last time I wanted something from Runyon, I decided to go without the substantial saving (Charlie A's both has lower prices and cheaper international shipping) and ordered directly. . Could be that Linda has trouble handling the business after her husband passed away.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just tried calling them today and got the answering machine. I've emailed numerous times as well. I'm getting quite frustrated. I can't believe someone can get away doing business this way. I want my money back.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,118 Posts
When Charlie was alive, these problems didn't exist. I ordered from him several times and got very fast, reliable service. Now that he's gone, I don't know who is running the show. Evidently it's not the same show......

·
1,331 Posts
Charlie's wife Linda is running things, but response and communication is nearly non-existent. It's a shame - I used to buy all my Fibracells and Runyon patches from him, as well as a couple mouthpieces. I guess she just doesn't have the passion for it that Charlie had.

I have switched to our own Hurling Frootmig's on-line store:

http://chicagomouthpieces.com/index_new.html

Ed is an authorized Fibracell and Runyon dealer (among other things) with great prices and fast service. I highly recommend him.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I, too, am presently having problems with Charlie A's, and wish I had read this thread before. No e-mail communication+ delayed shipping+ missing items= Avoid this business!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Damn it! I'm having the same problem now! If I don't hear back by tomorrow I'm going to dispute the CC order. I wish I had seen this thread first. I'll probably add a link to my signature...

All this time, I thought it must be lost in the mail. Now it seems more obvious that it was never sent!

·
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Mods,

Can we make this 'sticky' - seems several people are still getting burned. I know we have the search function, but it really smokes my gourd when people are rip-off artists.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts