Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey. I've got into Charles Lloyd's music recently and am just curious about his setup. I have heard he plays a barone jazz mpc but am intrigued by the black one screw lig he plays and I have no idea what it is (a paraschos?)- he also uses a Conn (New Wonder II/Chu)?
His quartet is quite mesmerizing.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
4,684 Posts
Hey. I've got into Charles Lloyd's music recently and am just curious about his setup. I have heard he plays a barone jazz mpc but am intrigued by the black one screw lig he plays and I have no idea what it is (a paraschos?)- he also uses a Conn (New Wonder II/Chu)?
His quartet is quite mesmerizing.
Whenever I saw him in recent years he was playing gold-plated NWII and an old brass Dukoff.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!
Anyone recognize this ligature- I'm looking for an alternative to my stock lig and have not seen this one before

·
Registered
196 Posts
Looks like Paraschos to me.I used to use one for clarinet.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool- thanks. Looking at the website they do have tenor ligs but finding a US supplier has been a challenge........

·
Registered
196 Posts
Hi JASA80,
I saw paraschos necks on Robertos Woodwind website.Check him out!They might have barrels and ligs as well.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
7,977 Posts
He was out here a few months back gigging with a Greek singer (forgot who she was).
I missed the oportunity to see him unfortunately, but in the promo shots he had an Olegature lig on a Brass Dukoff or Link?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks people- I've heard about his olegature but am intrigued by the paraschos. Roberto's doesn't stock the tenor lig but I'll keep looking. I find my stock link lig ok but there is a slight resistance on the reed which I don't care for with the less that exact fit.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015
2,323 Posts
Charles Lioyd is something else with a love for the tradition and always looking forward like Jazz use to be. in my humble opinion Charles is totally unique in voice and signature of sound and concept and although he skirts on the edges of Coltrane I always felt his love for LESTER young in sound and spirit.

·
Banned
28,511 Posts
+10

God Bless this wonderful man and the late great Michel Petrucciani for bringing him out of self-imposed retirement back into playing publicly.

·
Registered
80 Posts
There's a youtube vid somewhere of a guy playing an old Conn with a NY-STM and it sounds just like Lloyd. I'll see if I can find it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts