Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking through the Londeix rep book lately to find interesting new pieces, and I ran across something that really grabbed me. Apparently, Ives wrote a chamber piece called "Tun Street" (according to Londeix) for flute, trumpet, bari, and piano. Always one for interesting chamber music for saxophone, I was wondering if anyone had any info on this. A internet search turned up nothing. Anything anyone could tell me would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
82 Posts
It'll be crazy no doubt, its Ives. His Country Band March is one of the most ridiculous pieces I've ever heard.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I saw "Over the Pavements" in the Londeix book, but "Tun Street" appealed to me a little more...An original Ives composition that explicitly includes saxophone is just exciting...By the way, Prof. Creviston: I'll keep my ear to the ground, and if I here anything about it anywhere else, I'll give you the word.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Sax Historian
478 Posts
There is no such work as "Tun Street" by Ives, and Ives did not write for the combination mentioned, sad to say. He did use the saxophone in a number of his works, some famous, others obscure.

Paul Cohen

·
Registered
79 Posts
I asked about this piece a few years ago and found out that the title is wrong - I don´t remember the right one but it was "some other street than Tun street". It´s a little piece taken from a larger work and this instrumentation is somebody´s arrangement, not by Ives.

·
Registered
67 Posts
"Ann Street" might be right; as one of Ives's songs, it might lend itself to arrangement for saxophone. It's also part of the fifth orchestral set.

Grove lists only two other Ives works with "street" in their titles: "Runaway Horse on Main Street" for band and "The Gong on the Hook and Ladder/Firemen’s Parade on Main Street," originally a chamber work for strings and piano but later arranged for orchestra.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts