Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I play sax and I just bought my first clarinet.
Does anybody know the difference between them?
How do I choose the tip oppening ? In soporano I use a Selmer H.
Any suggestion for another piece ?
How the Bay works comparing to Vandoren B45?
Thanks in advance.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
4,329 Posts
I use a b45 myself, and I really like the comfort it has when playing. I dont worry about it squeaking or anything

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
2,090 Posts
Charles Bay makes very fine clarinet mouthpieces (and Sax too), and some models are hand faced by Charles or his son. I have 2 of them. An H-1 and an H-2. I prefer the H-1. The designation H-1, H-2, H-3 refers to the chamber size and configuration, based on the famous mouthpiece manufacturers Frank Kasper and Charles Chedeville. You can get the answers here on his website, below. Athough I think Van doren makes a fine mass produced mouthpiece, I think the Bay's are worth the extra money, and often are sold at bargain on Ebay. I'm not familiar with a Selmer H clarinet mouthpiece. Do you mean HS, HS*, HS**. Any of those would be fine for a beginner on clarinet. As far as Bay, go to the link. I wouldn't think you'd want anything more open than a M M,( medium tip, medium facing length.)

http://www.charlesbaywoodwinds.com/H1H2Clar.html

·
Banned
3,665 Posts
Salomon

The Bay clarinet piece I played was marked OM K781E

It was sublime and I have no idea what the markings mean.

David Rothenberg, the owner of the piece, didn't know the meaning either.

I took all the measurements for reference.

Good luck in your search

Be well

Joe

·
Forum Contributor 2012, SOTW Saxophone Whisperer,
3,230 Posts
I have 2 Bay mouthpieces very close in serial number and design from the "Artiste du Trophe" series (the origional one). I also play a Bay Bass Clarinet MPC and have owned a Baritone one for awhile as well. Bay MPCS are wonderful - no matter which way you go.

Try emailing them from their website to ask them your questions direct. Last time I did that (within the past year) Charles Bay himself replied and we had a very nice conversation of 3 or 4 emails. He is a super nice guy!!

Good luck

Charlie

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,312 Posts
OM I think means open tip and medium facing length. MM would be medium tip and medium facing. I have a bass clarinet piece from Bay marked EOL for extremely open tip and long facing. The tip is .106" which is pretty open for a bas cl.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts